• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Transmission mount bolt broke

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help with this fast. Doin some work on the xj, changin my trans mount. the bolt holding the trans to the mounts sapped off inside the trans. what do i do? I think drilling it out/easy out, can i rethread to the nextr size? Help!!!!!!

this happend on my engine block a few years ago. I used a craftsman bolt extractor thing similar to easy out.

next You could weld a bolt to it.

As last resort drill and retap....

Sting25 said:
this happend on my engine block a few years ago. I used a craftsman bolt extractor thing similar to easy out.

next You could weld a bolt to it.

As last resort drill and retap....
thats what i was thinking. but, isnt the trans case alluminum? and steel seizes in alluminum, right?

when and if you try drilling it use a left handed bit. There's a chance that the bit will back it out

Yes I believe so...Maybe someone else can chime in I just dont see a whole lot of choices. I would hit it with a torch some before doing anything to it though see if you can get it to loosen up a bit.

just thought of this you could cut a notch in the bolt with a dremle and use a screw driver.

so start with the least destructive choice and incrimentaly increase the force used.

2000bluexj said:
thats what i was thinking. but, isnt the trans case alluminum? and steel seizes in alluminum, right?

Sting25 said:
Yes I believe so...Maybe someone else can chime in I just dont see a whole lot of choices. I would hit it with a torch some before doing anything to it though see if you can get it to loosen up a bit.

just thought of this you could cut a notch in the bolt with a dremle and use a screw driver.

so start with the least destructive choice and incrimentaly increase the force used.
i dont think the screwdriver trick will work. and i dont have a left handed drill bit. im gunna try and drill it and get it out wight an easy out i think. How long are these bolts? i dont want to drill too deep. anyone know the size so i can grab new boltls?

well, i just looked. This is s through bolt. Which means i can get to the threads with some pb blaster to loosen them up. It also means i cant drill too deep and i can alost drill out surrent bolt, bolt and nut back together.. i am working on the other side so i can get that out without breaking it. letting the pb do its thing. now if i can find a way to get the torch up there...

ok. i got the other bolt out with out incident. lots of heat. can i drive this with one tranny mount bolt in it so i can get a bolt tomorrow? im also thinking of drilling out the hole and using a bolt and nut

I found only one bolt holding mine in on my 89. I just changed the mount yesterday and added the other bolt back in there too. It held fine with one bolt for the time I've had it. But since you know you only have one bolt I would just take it easy on the road, and no wheeling like that.

Not sure how it backed out.
=======================

It could have come new that way. Happen more then you know.
Will not work on a XJ but I have used a home made U bolt over the tail shaft housing. Held for 2 years of hard pounding.

Last edited:
A few months prior we replaced the mount, it was tightened with an impact.

Odd, it hasn't backed out since I tightened it back up with an adjustable wrench. Couldn't fit an impact on there unless the crossmember was down. It was tack welded on one side because one of the bolts snapped, and I didn't feel like grinding down the weld.

Back