• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Electrical GURUS in the house?

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 XJ was giving typical CPS symptoms. Changed it out. Ran OK for a while. Then the fuel pump was working intermittently. Found a green wire with a black tracer that comes from O2 sensor circuit and enables the fuel pump relay to energize. The connector was a piece of crap and it was not a very good connection. Wiggled and twisted and it ran. There was still some intermittent action going on with the fuel pump working and then not working.

This morning on the way to work, the XJ started bucking and dying. Now the jeep is on the side of the road DOA. Experiencing weird electrical problems. The clock in the radio will not hold time. Radio will not hold pre-sets. Power locks will not work. Plenty of power in the battery and it cranks strong. No fuel pump, so no fuel. The voltmeter reads a little low, like 11-12 volts. Swapped out the relays between AC and fuel pump. No change. Checked all the fuses I could find in the cabin. No blown fuses. Have not checked the engine compartment for fuses yet.. No weird smells. No smoke.

Is this a short somewhere in the harness? Bad ECU ??? Man, I am stumped. TIA Bill-93XJ

I just went through a very similar problem. Mine was the 8 gauge red wire that runs from the positive battery terminal to the starter relay on the passenger side fender. About an 8 inch long piece of wire with a ring terminal that connects to a post on the starter relay. It almost has to be this wire/connection, because after that post everything starts to branch out via fusible link connections from that starter relay post, and it would be very unusual for two separate circuits to fail at the same time. Good luck.

that GREEN WIRE with a BLACK tracer is also in series with the Fuel Pump Ballast Resisitor, Fuel Pump Relay, and Fuel Pump itself. So check that wire again, try bypassing ballast resistor.
Ground wire to firewall is suspect, and ground wire in Driver side kick panel, if door locks and Radio are acting up....Also check ground wires near Dist.on Engine block...

check all your grounds...

Checking the grounds is very good advice, I forgot to add that above. I wouldn't get focused on the fuel pump circuit, because that won't take the power away from the radio (ask me how I know this! - I spent a week following leads, then one day sat down with the wiring diagrams from the FSM and figured out in about 5 minutes where it HAD to be to give me the symptoms).

The radio losing power along with the engine control is your key here - it is trying to tell you where the electrical problem is. It is likely in the main battery ground connection to the block by the dipstick or that main power supply to the starter relay.

Has this one ever been in water up to the fuse box?
It does sound like it's near there.
Do any of the fuses have 12volts always on either side?
Have someone hold the power lock switch in position while you are moving things around.

SAME PROBLEM HERE... I am going to follow all the advice I heard here and let you guys know. My starter will click, then work with a fully charged battery, last night I was driving and it cut out, fuel pump doesn't hum but now the starter goes, I'll try replacing the power to the starter soleniod first as that one is ghetto and probably too thin.

Back