• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think I'm stuck in 4H

TheBatman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks, first time poster, been lurking for a bit, though.

I think my Jeep might be stuck in 4-high. The shifter is in the 2-high position, but when I shift it to 4-high I don't notice any change in handling or drive sounds. Shifting to 4-low works properly. The part-time light does turn on when I shift the lever to 4H, but that's more of a feature of the lever's position than what gear the t-case is actually in, isn't it?

When I turn tight corners at low speeds, the tires chirp (such as when I'm parking).

I have a 1996 XJ, 4WD, 4.0 HO, Automatic. I've only had it for a couple thousand miles so I'm not intimately familiar with how it _should_ feel yet.

Previous maintenance issues of note that may or may not be related:
- It had been sitting outside for a few months before I took possession.
- It had a severe overheating issue when I received it. I bypassed the heater control valve (just ran the hoses right to the core, disconnected the vacuum line and plugged it with duct tape), ran some Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner through it, backflushed, and filled. Put a 180-degree t-stat in it (I know now it should've been 195, I'll fix it next time I flush the system). The radiator's petcock is clogged, so I can't drain it past the lower rad hose. Nevertheless, it's running fine now.
- It has an amazingly crappy aftermarket alarm in it. I haven't taken the time to remove it yet; I just keep it in valet mode all the time.
- Replaced the alternator with one out of a 1993 GC (direct drop-in; I never would've known about it if it wasn't for some threads here!).

Thanks for any pointers you can give me on testing to see if I'm stuck in 4H and fixing it if I am.

Jack up the front axel then try to turn the front driveshaft with trans in park & tcase in 2WD the driveshaft should turn. I don't know if you have a central axel disconnect (CAD). If you do, in 2WD you would be able to turn 1 front wheel & the other would stay still, in 4WD with vacuum applied the 2 front wheels would lock together.

^ Just FYI, a '96 will not have the vacuum disconnect on the axle. But otherwise that should be a good test to see if you are in 4Hi or not.

Back