• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starts but won't stay running

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have my jeep 90 mj hotwired and it starts and runs but turns it's self of after like 2 seconds I am so confused with the schematics. what am i missing?

ive read about bypassing the ballast resistor located on the drivers side fender white ceramic block with 2 wires going to it put the wires togeather and see if that helps if im wrong someone pls chime in

that didn't work. it will keep running as long as the starter is running once i dissconect the green wire it runs for like 2 seconds it seems like the fuel pump is not staying on.

Ballast Resistor, Fuel Pump Relay, or Ignition Switch.

Since you have already bypassed the Ballast, the next step would be to swap around the relays next to the battery and see what happens. If it stays running, you have a bad relay. If it still exhibits the same behavior, then replace your ignition switch.

Hope that helps.

I am bypassing the ignition it is all messed up from someone trying to steal it my goal is to put toggles in. I think that there must be a wire that goes to the fuel pump relay. does this sound right?

sounds right. the fuel pump relay may be shutting off. can you hear it click? have you tried swapping relays, maybe its bad. i believe the ignition switch trips the fuel pump relay, so if your bypassing the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column, find a wiring schematic and see which wire controls the fuel pump relay.

Back