• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going bigger

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I've decided with the return im getting this year im going bigger.

Right now I have a RC 3" with the full leafs. I want to go to 5". I was thinking since I don't do anything to crazy I would just put spacers and shackles. What else should I start looking for?

Thanks Guys!

When I went this route I did new control arms to put the tire back where it belongs in the wheelwell. An adjustable track bar was a must at that height, and a SYE is a damn good idea. You may be able to get away with a t-case drop and axle shims, but it's not the best long term solution. You may need different sway bar ends for the front as well, if you haven't addressed that already. Then theres gears for the new tires you will want to put on, as well...

4x4life05 said:
Okay so I've decided with the return im getting this year im going bigger.

Right now I have a RC 3" with the full leafs. I want to go to 5". I was thinking since I don't do anything to crazy I would just put spacers and shackles. What else should I start looking for?

Thanks Guys!

SLIP YOKE ELIMINATOR

Not trying to hijack, I have the exact same setup as you, and I'm looking at doing the same thing as you. I already have coil spacers and 2" lift shackles from RC. I've already installed an SYE and DC driveshaft, and I have a RE trackbar waiting to go in. So my questions would be:

1. Can I get away with my current shocks until I can afford OMEs or Bilstiens?
2. How far off will the control arms be? I would like to run stock arms until I can afford a long arm or Y-link setup.

Daedalus454 said:
Not trying to hijack, I have the exact same setup as you, and I'm looking at doing the same thing as you. I already have coil spacers and 2" lift shackles from RC. I've already installed an SYE and DC driveshaft, and I have a RE trackbar waiting to go in. So my questions would be:

1. Can I get away with my current shocks until I can afford OMEs or Bilstiens?
2. How far off will the control arms be? I would like to run stock arms until I can afford a long arm or Y-link setup.

i wouldnt go above 2" with stock c/a's but you could run 3.5, but im not telling you to do it. Personally i wouldnt buy new short arms to jump up an inch or two. Id wait and get some long arms and jump up to 4.5 or 5" and have a much better setup. But with after market short arms you can run 4.5" but they dont ride the best.

1. Probably not. your shock's will likely be fully extended if they are even able to reach (unless you already have longer shocks).

2. FAR! unless you have drop arms or drop brackets already. it will be a rough ride. (doesn't it suck as it is? More height would only make it worse!)

I talked with Grimus about the shocks and he said it wouldn't work. I'm assuming that it is because they can only travel so far and the stress the coil would put on it will cause the ride to be real stiff. And you probably could go with the stock CA's but I'm choosing not to.

Do I need longer brake lines? or a longer Drive shaft?

Do I need longer brake lines?

YES! if you plan on flexing AT ALL! I'm only at about 3" in front now, and I'm at the very limit where the stock lines work... I'im actually worried about them as it is...

xalexjx said:
i wouldnt go above 2" with stock c/a's but you could run 3.5, but im not telling you to do it. Personally i wouldnt buy new short arms to jump up an inch or two. Id wait and get some long arms and jump up to 4.5 or 5" and have a much better setup. But with after market short arms you can run 4.5" but they dont ride the best.
Maybe I didn't phrase that right. I have, currently installed on my XJ, a 3" RC lift with new coils, leafs and shocks. I have, in my garage, not installed yet, 2" coil spacers and shackles. With both installed I'm guessing I'll have something like 4.5" lift.

And again, short shocks and stock CAs would be a temporary measure until I upgraded to expensive shocks and a LA kit. Just wondering if that would be safe as a DD in the meantime.

I was talking with a buddy of mine and you might be able to pull off the shocks...but there would be no flex in them, giving a horrible ride. But the LCA would have to be replaced. it's just too much lift for them and your tires will be rubbing the back of the wheel well.

Does anybody know where I can get some shackles and blocks for cheap??

was talking with a buddy of mine and you might be able to pull off the shocks...

you don't want to do that..... not a fun ride! Been there, DONE THAT!

I'm running 4.5" up front with stock control arms and brake lines. Its rough, but it still flexes great. I relocated the brake line mounting points and straightened the hard lines, my brake lines have been holding up fine and I've flexed it out pretty good since adding the lift up front. I'm getting matching lift for the back and extended brake lines, not to mention new control arms with my tax money...

Just raise the mounts on the shocks. Do some BPEs too. That should help out.

Are you getting long arms or DBs?

Just raise the mounts on the shocks. Do some BPEs too. That should help out.

You mean like this?

000_0945.jpg

I raised the front too using 2X4X1/4" tubing... cut/drilled the holes to fit the shock, and welded it on top of the stock shock perch.

Back