• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes help

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
ok here goes
i was wheeling in the NJ pine barrens today, nothin huge just few water crossings and a hillclimb. the brkaes are fine all day. we stop at a ranger statin for a few min then head off to a convenience store. at the convenience store i notice the brakes are very sloppy, where they were fine 3 miles before.
so my question to you guys is WTF is going on. the calipers and drum hardware are 3000 miles old, there is no fluid leaking from anywhere and the MC is not losing any. i noticed a crankcase breather was off so i put that back on.. the weird thing is the brakes are nice and stiff while in reverse, and the booster works while stopped, but not while rolling.

the setup is d30 front disks/d44 rear drums all stock. somepne said proportioning valve but id liek yourt input

thanks for all your help
-Jon

mine did that, check ur adjusters with ur wheels on. If u cant see them take ur wheel off, maybe be ur adjusters and springs off the rear drum came apart. Which makes ur pedal go pretty close to the floor which u are only using ur frontbrakes. Or like he said mud caked in there. Take it apart.

awesome, so mud will make it go squishy and stay that way?
cleanin it out should takce care of stuff

it comes on when the pedal goes too far down im guessing its telling me that theres not enough brake pressure...duh

redneckboarder said:
it comes on when the pedal goes too far down im guessing its telling me that theres not enough brake pressure...duh

leaking wheel cylinders or master cylinder is going bad.

thanx for confirming my fears haha. im gonna go tear it a part today and see what i can see and keep my fingers crossed while doing it cuz i hafta move back home (600 miles with a trailer) in a week and a half

luckily it was one of the adjusters that fell off so no big deal, but while iw as in there i discovered my bad axle seal so thats gotta get replaced now but it can wait for a bit
thanks for all the input
-jon

redneckboarder said:
luckily it was one of the adjusters that fell off so no big deal, but while iw as in there i discovered my bad axle seal so thats gotta get replaced now but it can wait for a bit
thanks for all the input
-jon

watch that you didnt get alot of water in the axle.

Back