• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other axle options

what tires/suspension you plan on using with those?
if you cant answer that, the axles are way too fin big!
seriously, overkill much?

I don't know. I was looking at the center section clearance and was wondering what peoples thoughts would be. It could be done leaf or linked I'm sure. I believe they are really low geared and would not be used on road. And the smaller one was 60" wide and are the same design. I know that you wouldn't be able to adjust the angle for steering unless one wanted to cut the axle.

Holy... If you could get them to work it would be awesome! Good luck finding gearing options, replacement shafts (if you can break them). Wonder what the GR is? I used to drive those when I was younger. They would go fast enough to scare you. I guess that had to do with the gearing in the trans and tcase.

Just looked over the pics again and noticed they are spicer/dana. That should make it easy to find parts for. Here is a good link:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx?prod=AXL

Should be able to find all you need to know there...:paperwork

I went to that site earlier. They are planitery gear driven, I just wounder what it would take to lock them. They are square axles like 2 1/2 and center is clear, no need to shave it. And they are used on a fork lift that easly wieghs 5x more than a jeep and carriy a load 5x more than that. How could one brake on a jeep, ever?

The forklift I ran had the option to lock the diffs. It was just a switch, so I would guess some sort of E-locker.

I dont think you could ever break them. My grandfather always said I could tear up a steal ball berring with a rubber mallet, but I dont think I could find a way to tear those up...LOL...

mikeNtucson said:
Would you run the stock rim and tire or would you try to get something else to work?

I wonder what size the wheels are? I know you could find some nice military tires for 20" wheels. They sell alot on ebay. If you are familiar they come from and LMTV. The only issue would be fitment. They are 52" tires

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...010QQitemZ200196071029QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The crain at the bottom of the page looks like a very similar wheel....

mikeNtucson said:
Now that is over kill, you would have more tire than jeep.

So is the axle...LOL

Stuntman Mot said:
those tires might be filled with some kind of hydro fluid, i know that some heavy equipment has fluid filled tires to handle lots of weight. if so the tires could weigh in at 800+ lbs a piece.

Just air... I have been in the back of an LMTV when it blew a tire. Kind of joking around when I posted the tire stuff...

rcmf5525 said:
So is the axle...LOL
I know, so is a rockwell, and yet......
I read petersons (before they went sponsered, you know, no more cheap tricks, and more about who has what new part, and how much of your body it will cost) and they wrote up an article, and ended it with, "I would like to see more tractor parts used in 4 wheeling" and that was a long time ago, and nothing that I have seen has ever come up of it.

I wasnt trying to discourage. Go for it! Just make sure you post the wright up!

Stuntman Mot said:
those tires might be filled with some kind of hydro fluid, i know that some heavy equipment has fluid filled tires to handle lots of weight. if so the tires could weigh in at 800+ lbs a piece.

they dont wiegh that much. the 54" tires on our small skidder only weighs about 250lbs and theyre heave duty. We fill the back tires with calcium though for better traction. Most tractors have the tires filled with calcium too. I would think they would put calcium on these tires for stability. Are they both steering axles. You could make a nice buggy with those. I wouldnt even put them under an xj. I would start out with a pile of tube. :thumbup:

I don't have the resourses to do a build like this, I would like to see someone do it though. I just wanted to get insight from the group on weither it sounds like a good option. I know that the rear one could be had without steering. If i was able to score a 60" wide set with one steer, and one straight, I would consider putting them in my jeep. Don't have a pile of tube, or anything to shape or connect them. Mostly wanted to know why they would not work. But with elect locker (aperantly) it would be a good build.

I'm sure they are real heavy. After some thought, the center is center. Which is ok for back, but something would have to be done about front. Which would mean custom axleshafts. I would have to look in morning about brakes.

mikeNtucson said:
I'm sure they are real heavy. After some thought, the center is center. Which is ok for back, but something would have to be done about front. Which would mean custom axleshafts. I would have to look in morning about brakes.

Or you could buy the long one and cut down one side.

Back