• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30-alloy usa u joint size?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have a 89 xj with a standard spline alloyusa axle set, I had a u joint turn sour on me(lateral play if that make sense)Ive got to ship it to the states for warranty what other joints can I use for the interim?? I don't even know rhat size it it is. Thanks!!

That would be a Spicer 5-760-x.

What else would be a good u joint to run? I can special order spicer joints 7-10 day delivery or just get another set of alloyusa u joints? I hate busting u-joints

mattyj said:
Why skimp....... go CTM.

:D

Not everyone has the unlimited budget that you have Matty. :)

Just get the Spicers. Best bang for the buck. And I believe that there is an issue right now with the Alloy USA u-joints.

xjohnnyc said:

Just get the Spicers. Best bang for the buck. And I believe that there is an issue right now with the Alloy USA u-joints.

You are correct. There is an issue with the Alloy joints.

Alloy USA now puts Spicer 760X u joints in their D30 axles, and Im sure they use Spicer ones in other applications.

those frikkin ctms are 200 each!! wtf? I can buy 20 297's for that price!

HELP! my drivers side u joint is F'ed too but I dont know how to replace it. I bought a 297 from 4 wheel drive hardware and I have it and everything but I dont know how to change it out and i'm sick of hearing "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" everytime i engage 4 wheel drive. and living in michigan 4x4 isnt a luxury, its a necesity! help please!

xjohnnyc said:

Hey now.... its not that i have an unlimited budget, its just im trying to build up my junk to take the shit im throwing at it. I like to wheel in big rocks. Sure spicers would do the job & sure you can buy 10 sets for the price of CTMs.....but i think CTMs are good insurance when you consider the concequences of breaking a u-joint, taking out an inner & outer axle shaft & if you're lucky... popping the ball joints out. Then fawking around for trying to fix all that busted shit on the trail.
We all spend more than $200 on lots of other components for our rigs, but just because there are cheaper altenatives, poeple trip on the price.
I say you get what you pay for and for something thats life time guarenteed & is almost indestructable, i think its mony well spent.

xjohnnyc said:

I just talked to Alloy USA yesterday. (January 31st). They are not having any issues with the u-joints now. The problem was early on. Apparently the caps were being made to big and they wouldn't fit...

Back