• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 SYE Driveshaft?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
so I've been trying to find what I could use as a driveshaft with an SYE on the NP231 which is connected to an AX-15. I know that there are people that use front shafts on AW4's, but I couldn't find a definitave answer about the AX-15 (yes, I looked). Can I pull something off of the front of something else or do I absolutely need a custom shaft? And I'm planning on doing an 8.8 swap (does this make the distance shorter?)

The AX 15 is shorter so take than into consideration. I've never tried this, but it seems a front AW4 Shaft will work on the rear. WhaT SYE are you doing?

I doubt you could use a stock front shaft off a AW4. I have an AW4 on my 3.5" RE SR lift, and there's not much room left. In fact, I might even get mine lengthened just for my own piece of mind.

Oh, that's with a D44 out back as well which has just as long a pinion as the 8.25.

oh, my bad, let me clear that up...

I know that the AX-15 is shorter than the AW4.

I also know that people who HAVE AW4's can use a front driveshaft from an AW4.

What I am asking is if there is ANY driveshaft that I can get from say a pick 'n pull which will bolt up and be long enough for MY AX-15 with NP231 T-case, using a PORC HD SYE?

right now I'm on about 3.5 in the rear, but I want to shackle it up to about 4.5 when I do 35's.

I'm using a ZJ front shaft in the rear of mine, AX15,NP231, 8.25 29spline, 8" of lift

It still has 2-3 inches of slip in it.
HPIM1153.jpg

HPIM1168.jpg

and the stocker fit in the front
HPIM1167.jpg

I originally planned on using the ZJ shaft in the front and having my stocker front extended to fit in the rear, but it worked out the other way around without modifications.

BTW, I'm running the PORC SYE

awesome. was there any specific year/model of ZJ that you had to pull it from? or did you just go with whatever? looks like you shimmed the rear too?

got it... just edited it.

You have to shim the rear ( on a stock made axle) for a CV. You won't need them bc you are installing a 8.8 anyways, no?

correct. at some point. I'm not sure if it will be at the same time as the SYE... Probably not. at 3.5 in., will I need to shim it until I get my 8.8?

With a CV joint on your D.S. you need you pinion 2* below the driveshaft angle on a leafsprung ( ie. no links or traction bar). Depends on leafprings too, but I would say a 3* or 4* shim will do you right. (only way to really tell is angle finder)

I'm going to lengthen a front stock shaft for mine.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I'm going to lengthen a front stock shaft for mine.

that works, but I'm looking for cheap..... it'd be nice to find an already built shaft, looks like off a ZJ

somebody have the chart of stock ds lengths handy?You really need to get everything setup and then measure for ds length.....
I'm sitting on 5.5" lift in my 89xj w/ax15 and chrysler 8.25 axle
I am running a jb conversions standard length sye with a front shaft from a auto xj.I had to have it lengthened about 3"......If I was more patient I probably could've found the right size shaft at the junk yard instead of having one lengthened.
The chart I mentioned above lists a zj shaft that is really long.....

outlander said:
somebody have the chart of stock ds lengths handy?You really need to get everything setup and then measure for ds length.....
I'm sitting on 5.5" lift in my 89xj w/ax15
I am running a jb conversions standard length sye with a front shaft from a auto xj.I had to have it lengthened about 3"......If I was more patient I probably could've found the right size shaft at the junk yard instead of having one lengthened.
The chart I mentioned above lists a zj shaft that is really long.....

Stock shaft lengths:

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

I'm running a ZJ front shaft on my 4.0/AX-15/D44 with 4" of lift and a H&T on a 242.

Back