• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy front end, worse in 4WD

Dustn525

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought '95 SE, it has the 4.0, AW4 and an NP-231. When I'm going down the road, the front end makes a clicking sound, and the speed of the clicks increases with the speed of the truck. We got some snow today, so I put it in 4hi to get up my hill. In 4wd the front end makes some gear noise, and a very loud popping sound occurs when I step on the gas, and the wheel doesn't turn. However, if I just apply enough throttle to start moving, I get traction like I'm supposed to. It's as if the front end is only half-ass engaged, so when I hit the gas it pops in and out repeatedly. I read that the '95 on models were engaged via an electrical silinoid, not a vaccum system. Any ideas?

Is the jeep new to you...or are you the original owner? The reason I ask is because if a ring gear went, it'd be pretty violent--something you wouldn't forget if you experienced it. I would check the t-case, yours is chain driven (NP231) I believe--ruling out vacumm issues, sometimes you can get chain sag...it doesn't sound like you have a break YET. But the ring gear can definitely be a problem area. My money's on the t-case chain.
-Ed

The front driveshaft is always connected to the axles since 92.

So there's no electrical disconnect.

The only thing that "detaches" when in 2wd is the front driveshaft from the transfer case.

firefight343 said:
Is the jeep new to you...or are you the original owner? The reason I ask is because if a ring gear went, it'd be pretty violent--something you wouldn't forget if you experienced it. I would check the t-case, yours is chain driven (NP231) I believe--ruling out vacumm issues, sometimes you can get chain sag...it doesn't sound like you have a break YET. But the ring gear can definitely be a problem area. My money's on the t-case chain.
-Ed

Yeah it's new to me, just got it a week ago for real cheap because of the ticking sound in the front end. The loud popping also seems to be coming from the front. It reminds me of a remote control car with worn plastic gears...they try to go but just make a popping sound as the teeth rub together. Only this a real truck lol. Guess I'll have to pull the cover off tomarrow and see what I can find.

Blaine B. said:
The front driveshaft is always connected to the axles since 92.

So there's no electrical disconnect.

The only thing that "detaches" when in 2wd is the front driveshaft from the transfer case.

If that was in response to my post, i was talkin about that happenin when only rear wheels are spinnin, for instance when climbing something...

Dustn525 said:
Yeah it's new to me, just got it a week ago for real cheap because of the ticking sound in the front end. The loud popping also seems to be coming from the front. It reminds me of a remote control car with worn plastic gears...they try to go but just make a popping sound as the teeth rub together. Only this a real truck lol. Guess I'll have to pull the cover off tomarrow and see what I can find.

Try and find out where exactly the 'ticking' is coming from: the transfer case, front differential, or somewhere else. Blain B. is correct in the front drive shaft not disconnecting at the diff., so if the same noise is there when your not in 4WD then, it would have to fall into the differential/ring-gear area--or possibly be something else--b/c its not engaged by the t-case.

You don't by any chance have large enough tires to the point of them rubbing on the fenders do you?...I know, an idiot question, but I figured better safe than sorry :)

Ed

Back