• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oops!!!

gt247life04

NAXJA Forum User
About an hour ago I was trying to remove the bolts from the shackles on my 1992 Cherokee and one of the bolts that attaches the shackle to the leaf spring broke. What kind of bolt do I need (grade, size, etc.)? Where can I buy them? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!

grab one from the junk yard. thats what id do. sorry, ive been addicted to the junk yard lately. the yard here is open 7 days a week.

broken

About an hour ago I was trying to remove the bolts from the shackles on my 1992 Cherokee and one of the bolts that attaches the shackle to the leaf spring broke. What kind of bolt do I need (grade, size, etc.)? Where can I buy them (besides the junkyard)? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!

Re: broken

cant you use the unbroken remaining bolt to gauge the size as far as the grade get the best you can buy the little hash marks on the bolt head are the grade marks i belive the more marks there are the higher the grade

measure the bolt diameter and length, go to a parts store or equivalent, give this to them tell them what its for and they will give you something to get by, even bring the broken peice for diameter reference. They can be ordered from the dealer if you cant find one aywhere else

Re: broken

just don't take one of your neighbours jeep!

I know when I did my lift on my yj we had to cut the ones on the back. We just went to home depot and got new ones. I think they were grade 8 bolts. But I could be wrong but I know we got them at home depot.

AZprerunxj said:
you want a grade 8 nut and bolt

Unless it's metric - then you want property class 10.9 or better.

I think it's a metric screw - if you have the one from the other side, you can take it in and match it up. Go to a better hardware store than HD - the ones around here carry SAE2/ISO6.8 if you're lucky, and I wouldn't toss that stuff in the scrap bin. If HD is carrying SAE8 or ISO better than 9.8, I've not seen it. (and they don't carry CRES or brass machine screws anyhow, so I don't bother.)

Your best bet is, if you have any nearby, to go to a tractor/farm equipment supply house. If you can't find one of those (they've got damn near anything you're likely to need, as far as screws go,) go to www.fastenal.com and see where the nearest branch is. You may have to order what you need, but they're good about finding it, and their stuff isn't bad either.

AVOID CHINESE SCREWS - they still haven't gotten the hang of heat treatment, and their screws marked as "strong" (SAE5 or higher, ISO9.8 or higher) should be considered as "counterfeit." Other Asian production or European production is acceptable. Heat treatment is key to a decent fastener - until the Chinese can get the hang of doing it properly, don't bother (I remember checking SAE8 fasteners from various sources in Materials and Processes at school - the Chinese fasteners failed miserably. Other PacRim fasteners were acceptable - with the Japanese leading - and European stuff was also acceptable - with the Germans leading.)

Thanks for all the info. I ended up at the junk yard in the mud pulling one off. Hard part was that the junk yard puts the stands near the shackles giving me very little room to work, not to mention laying in a puddle. But it was worth it because I scored on a front skid plate and a gas tank skid and a flowmaster muffler. Thanks again for the help.

I knew if i had trouble getting mine off then I would sure as hell have even more trouble getting one off at the junk yard. Not to mention having limited tools and resources and bad weather. I am now glad to have made the decision to go because i was able to pick up some other parts.

Back