• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Problem, Clogged Fuel lines?

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having this problem everytime I start my 97 auto XJ. When I start the engine, it will turn over fine and idle normally. Ill start to drive and after about 200 ft the engine will lose rpms and almost stall. If I keep my foot at the same spot the engine will drop really low and then 20 seconds later will go back to normal. This also happens if I just idle. The engine will be running fine and then after 5 or so minutes will lose rpms and almost stall. Usually if I rev it up a couple times it will stop.

I was thinking that I have something cloggin my fuel lines but im not sure. This all started happening after I took it to a carwash with the powerwashers. Theres the square hole on the inner part of the left fender by the battery which is open and I might have accidentally sprayed someting in the engine bay which could have been moved by the pressure.

I am stumped and wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

how old is the battery? does the voltage gauge drop when its having a hard time idleing?

when was the last time you did a tune up? may have water/moisture in the cap.

Same thing happened to mine after I cleaned it real good. Is your cel on? I had to let mine sit for a day or so and dry off real good, I ruled it out as moisture in something where there shouldnt have been.

The battery is not too old and powers my amp and sub without dropping too much. I dont think that the voltage drops but when I take lunch I will check and see if it does.

Also I have not done a tune up in a while. I have recently had an oil change and put 2 bottles of fuel cleaner in (seprate times).

My check engine light is on but that can be due to the fact that my O2 sensor is not currently in my cat :-x. What error code should I look for. I might take it to Auto Zone to get it read.

Also one more thing. What in particular should I do to get the moisture out of my engine. This problem has been happening for almost two weeks.

I had a similer deal not with my XJ but another truck, it would start idle no problems try and dirve more the 10 km you could forget it. It would stat to run real bad, then it would be fine 10 km later same deal. By passed the fuel filter as a test and all was fine, new filter and all good. Just sometning else to check.

Mine was throwing an emission code only time its ever done it. Not sure if its moisture or not but the fact that it happend after you powerwashed it is a good clue that it might.

Back