• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

either dead speaker or bad radio....

FastFreddy4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01XJ Sport. It has the factory radio that has the cd player with the little graphic equalizer thingy. Anyway my drivers door speaker randomly cuts in and out... it will go for days on, then days off.... and when I pay attention - its not like a bump in the road does it.... or it has to be on for a while to come on... just whenever it feels like it - it works. Think this is a bad speaker (I've always thought a bad speaker dies - and stays dead). Or could this be the radio dying a slow death and loosing one speaker output first?

I haven't pulled anything apart yet as the sub freezing temps is keeping me from this - so I thought I'd bounce it off here and see if anyone has had this - or knows about it.

Thanks
FF

Check the wires in the Drivers side kick panel. They get old and are known to come loose/break.

My driver door speaker cuts in and out depending on how far the door is open. when closed it plays fine for the most part, but when its open in certain spots it cuts out...not a great inconvienience, but none the less not great for when I wanna work on it with the doors open and that one cuts in and out.

I believe the problem stems back to the use frequency for that one door. I think the wire insulation has been cut and it grounds out the speaker or something..maybe a dead short. Anyhow mine is an aftermarket JVC so it shouldnt be dying 6 monnths in on me and neither should the alpine speaker ( i dont go too hard on them either). so for the time being i will just let it be and in the summer when I paint it I might run all new wire since the door will be off anyhow.

Hope this helped, sorry its so long

--Alex

check for a damaged wire where the speaker wires goes into the door through the rubber tube. most likely a pinched wire from the door opening and closing

Stallacrew said:
My driver door speaker cuts in and out depending on how far the door is open. when closed it plays fine for the most part, but when its open in certain spots it cuts out...not a great inconvienience, but none the less not great for when I wanna work on it with the doors open and that one cuts in and out.

I believe the problem stems back to the use frequency for that one door. I think the wire insulation has been cut and it grounds out the speaker or something..maybe a dead short. Anyhow mine is an aftermarket JVC so it shouldnt be dying 6 monnths in on me and neither should the alpine speaker ( i dont go too hard on them either). so for the time being i will just let it be and in the summer when I paint it I might run all new wire since the door will be off anyhow.

Hope this helped, sorry its so long

--Alex

Which is why I said to check the wires inside the kick panel. I guess I should have included where they go into the door. Good catch.

Stallacrew said:
My driver door speaker cuts in and out depending on how far the door is open. when closed it plays fine for the most part, but when its open in certain spots it cuts out...--Alex

My 91 does the opposite- it plays geat with the door open, and cuts out when the door is closed. I'm 99.9% sure it's the wiring in the rubber sleeve that runs into the door.

FastFreddy4 said:
I have a 01XJ Sport. It has the factory radio that has the cd player with the little graphic equalizer thingy. Anyway my drivers door speaker randomly cuts in and out... it will go for days on, then days off.... and when I pay attention - its not like a bump in the road does it.... or it has to be on for a while to come on... just whenever it feels like it - it works. Think this is a bad speaker (I've always thought a bad speaker dies - and stays dead). Or could this be the radio dying a slow death and loosing one speaker output first?

I haven't pulled anything apart yet as the sub freezing temps is keeping me from this - so I thought I'd bounce it off here and see if anyone has had this - or knows about it.

Thanks
FF

I'm gonna say the same thing as everyone else that the wire is getting pinched somehow by the door. Very common problems. If it's not that then the only other thing I can think of is if its an infiniti system to check the amp

i had a problem like this on an after market HU. it ended up being the harness into the HU. if i wiggled the head unit sometimes it would allow the passenger speaker to work. i would check that stock harness. make sure its in there real tight. pull the HU out and wiggle it a bit. pull it off and put it back on there real tight. also the the crimp connectors at the speaker. may have come loose. other than that it has to be a wiring issue of some sort. eliminate one possibility after another and you will find the cause.

Had this same problem on the drivers door. As I would open the door; the music would play intermitently....
Removed the door panel and started tracing the circuit from the speaker thru the rubber door wireloom up under the dash panel. Found the wire was pinched inside the rubber wire loom.
Decided that instead of risking the chance of a future occurence; I would run new insulated speaker wires directly from the speaker to the radio harness.
The speaker works great and the gauge wiring I used was 14 gauge vs the factory 18 gauge.

I had that problem on my passenger side door. Took out the speaker and found that the connections had a slight bit of corrosion on them. I tested the resistance from the connections and found too much resistance. Cleaned the connections, made sure the resistance was lower than it was before. And now my speaker works perfectly.

Back