• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slip yoke eliminater

v dub krazy

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a question and yes i've searched for the answer and i can't find it. i was wondering if i put 4.5" lift on my 2001 xj if i need to use the slip yoke eliminater??? and also what will you get the best ride out of: add-a-leaf or new springs.... its going to be a daily driver mostly. thanks, dustin

Last edited:
no, you can get away without but you will most likely have vibes, even if you shim your axle. A SYE is the best solution.

I have been running a 4.5" lift with a 1" drop at the trnsfer case since April last year. I have had no vibrations what so ever, not even at hiway speeds, no shims either. I am sure that a sye would be ideal, but so far, so good.
Art

Installed AAL's in Febuary of 2007. They're all ready sagging from four offroad trips and daily driving. Do yourself a favor and save for the proper lift. Waiting sucks, but spending money to repair your lift within the first year REALLY sucks..that's my 2 cents worth.

My recommendations:
1. Replace the spring pack.
-and-
2. The 01 has the looooooonnnng transfer case output shaft. With 4.5" you will have vibrations. Period. End of Discussion. I had vibes with 2.5" lift on mine so there will be no way to avoid it with 4.5" I personally do not endorse TC drops. Doesn't make sense to me. Lowering the rear of the power module (Eng/Trans/TC) tilts the front up. I do not see how it would not put unecssary stress on the motor mounts, wire looms/harnesses and mis align the air flow across the radiator.

Can you live with the vibrations? I can't, my 50yo butt feels them all 32 miles of commute, the shims are on order. Vibrations also reduce the length of service life for the u-joint. U-Joints sometimes give warning they are about to fail, and sometimes they fail at the most inopportune time.

Here's more info on SYE, its from the FAQ section.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101244

There's other good info in that section also. I have been reading this board daily for almost seven years and still reference that section frequently.

Get that XJ lifted, get it running and get it to Moab for Fall Fling 2008.
Tom

I had a little vib with my 3in lift. I then did a 4.5in and a SYE and have NO vibs at all, even at 80mph for 600 miles (trip to Flat Nasty Offroad park). As far as the AAL. Just like Bloodtype said, wait till you can get the new springs. I first had the AAL for a 3in lift and the rear saged within a year, reason why I got the new springs. Good Luck.

yea i'm building that 2001 xj for my gf as a daily driver (cheap build). i have a 2000 xj thats my toy/crawler project its lifted as i bought it but i'm goin to be running the 5.5 t&t lift eventually and right now i'm looking for axles on my 2000 because i've heard the ones i have are junk. sooo... if anyone has opinions that would help.... :) and whats this moab thing???? i'm kind of new to xj's

another question for you guys... i'm looking at the rusty's off road 4.5 and its $669.00 for the kit with new springs and the rough country is $645.00 for the one with new springs you think i should just go with the rusty's?

Anyone else feel like its Groundhog Day on here, every day?

i swear we just had the rusty's vs rough country vs anything that's better debate....

Rusty's springs are fine, ok, decent.....anything else (trackbar, control arms, etc) you should avoid. especially steering and track bar.

Rough Country - meh...again, ok...will ride rough (go figure)

Rubicon Express/Rock Krawler/DPG Offroad Hybrid Kit - 3.....2....1 IMO, for about that much lift. or you could do an ACOS on top of 3" OME coils, build up an OME leaf pack w/ their extra leafs and use a 1'' boomerang to get about 4.5" of lift....

Before you spend any money go to the FAQ section and read Crash's report on axles. Then search Craigslist, there was a couple of axles up in Sacto that were there yesterday.

Here's where the Moab hype is:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197

EVERY thing I do for my XJ this year, every nickel I save is for one purpose. My trip out to this Not To Miss Event, the Fall Fling 2008. So you can bring two XJs, your toy/crawler and the GFs DD.

Back