• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 NP 231 Output bearing replacement

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an MJ with 120,000mi:loveu: . it's a 1991 with the np 231 t-case. it's leaking atf at the rear tailcone seal and while i was under it, i wiggled the DS and it moved a fair amount. i haven't had a chance to tear into it yet and look at it but i'm assuming for now that it's the bearing and not the slip yolk that has the play. if it is in fact the bearing, do i need to remove the tail cone and the rear bit of the case behind the tailcone to replace the bearing? my xj has a 97+ 231 so im not too sure about the '91. any insight on the job would be nice. i'm assuming it's not too bad and wouldn't take much more than some sockets, snap ring pliers and rtv etc.
Thanks!

Maybe you can compare the amount of movement to some other xj's too see how they are. There is a bushing in the tailshaft housing that supports the slip yoke. It wouldnt be hard to replace the housing and yoke. You shouldnt need to go farther then that. Its probably just the seal. Thats not a lot of miles. Just put a seal in it and see what happens. About $7.00.

When replacing the seal; it would be a good idea to check the yoke shaft to seal contact area for a rough surface. IF the surface is not perfectly smooth; the seal will not seal properly and wear out quickly...

i'm almost certain that there is more play than normal and there is some driveline vibration... it could be the bushing i guess, i was thinking that was pretty low mileage for a bearing to go and it doesn't look like the truck has been beat at all. i guess i won't know until i tear it apart this weekend and see if the output shaft moves or if it's just the yoke. is the bushing replaceable or is it part of the tailcone?
thanks!

If the bushing was avail. it would probably be from the dealer or a transmission shop. There is a ball bearing in the next housing forward. The splined shaft should be tight in it. That housing holds the oil pump in place

yeah, my plan is to pull the ds and see if the actual output shaft has play. then it's the bearing and i'll need to pull the tailcone and the next housing in front of the tail cone right? i'm assuming there is a c-clip and then i can push the bearing out and install a new one?
Thanks

This is what you will see. If your not having other problems and your oil is clear I would doubt that the inner bearing is bad. If it was, it would seem like you would have some real bad noise. If you take the inner housing off be careful with the pump. I doubt that you could knock the oil pick up tube out of the pump while is riding on the splined shaft but just don't mess with the pump. Don't push the shaft in or it will disengage the pump splines. Its not that you cant pull it back out and engage the spline again but I just don't want to see you have to mess with the pick up tube. Its inside the rear cover.

DSC00641.jpg

Flat nose snap ring pliers
DSC00643.jpg

Ball bearing in housing that holds oil pump
DSC00644.jpg

This was a case I repaired. You dont need that much silicone. The last guy must have used a whole tube on it.

Back