• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 rear Drive shaft length

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Son just picked up a 97 2 door XJ, has a 5 speed and the last person who had it put what looks like a too short drive shaft on it, it' s up on the lift and the DS looks about ready to fall off. My question is what length DS do we need to replace it. I'm guessing it came off an automatic and am assuming the auto tranny is longer.

Rich,

'98 XJ w/NP231 and AX-15 with 5.5" lift; the overall length of the ds is 38".
This ds has a dbl cardan joint at the output shaft of the tcase and the slider at the rear of the ds.
Hope this helps a little....

If its on the lift and the rear leafs are drooping this may be a factor. Give me a length on what length d/s you need and i might have one.

Rich,

Does it look as though the rear differential has been replaced ?
The housings for the D35 and C8.25 are different lengths... the same as the differences between the automatic and the manual transmission.

CharlesS said:
Rich,

Does it look as though the rear differential has been replaced ?
The housings for the D35 and C8.25 are different lengths... the same as the differences between the automatic and the manual transmission.

I don't know, I have not seen it, got the call from my son while it was up on the lift. It needs a new passenger side u joint, cable was broken to the rear O2 sensor so he needs the pigtail and then the DS. Not familiar with the 2 door models, is there any difference between the DS on a 2dr and 4dr ? Yea, I know, same wheel base but I've been bitten by not asking silly questions.
I think I'll run out when he starts on the u joint and put mine up on the lift next to it so we can measure, it's too freaking cold out to do this on the ground as far as I'm concerned.

Back