• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are u-bolts for the dana 44 and dana 35 the same size?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be replacing my rear leaf springs on my XJ with a dana 44 rear axle and I am wanting to get new u-bolts while I am at it. Rusty's web site is the only one I have found so far that sells them, but I haven't put too much effort in searching so far. According to their web site, the 44 and 35 use the same size u-bolts. I know the 44's tubes are skinnier than the old 8.25 I used to have, but I just wanted to double check before I purchased them. Also, anyone else buy these?
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RC-UB&Category_Code=LEAF
I just wanted to make sure that they are long enough to clear my 6 degree shims. They look long enough, so it might be a dumb question. They are grade 8 U-bolts, so they look like they are a good choice. :thumbup:

Not necessarialy. I have seen three different tube diameters for the D30 and two for the D44.

i run rustys dana 44 u bolts , they are long enough, could could boucle up leaf packs and still have room. yes th 35 and 44 bolts are different too. i have both axles sitting in the garage, and the 35 bolts are smaller in diameter on account of the fact that the dana 44 tubes are larger in diameter thus wider u bolts!

could could boucle= double up leaf packs....sorry im sick and on alotta dayquil right now....

jeeperguy21 said:
I am going to be replacing my rear leaf springs on my XJ with a dana 44 rear axle and I am wanting to get new u-bolts while I am at it. Rusty's web site is the only one I have found so far that sells them, but I haven't put too much effort in searching so far. According to their web site, the 44 and 35 use the same size u-bolts. I know the 44's tubes are skinnier than the old 8.25 I used to have, but I just wanted to double check before I purchased them. Also, anyone else buy these?
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RC-UB&Category_Code=LEAF
I just wanted to make sure that they are long enough to clear my 6 degree shims. They look long enough, so it might be a dumb question. They are grade 8 U-bolts, so they look like they are a good choice. :thumbup:

I would just go to your local NAPA or Northern Tool and pick some up. Will be cheaper in the long run. Then if they are the wrong size there is much less hasle involved with returning them.

the rustys 44 ubolts fit the cherokee 44 just fine. i run full packs and shims and still have 2-3 inches left on the u bolt

blondejoncherokee said:
the rustys 44 ubolts fit the cherokee 44 just fine. i run full packs and shims and still have 2-3 inches left on the u bolt

Hey thanks a lot. I think I will be getting them. Since they are zinc plated, does that help with them not rusting up as much? I live where the snow is plentiful and the salted roads eat cars alive. My undercarriage looked like a junk yard before I replaced most everything with shiny new parts.

I would just have then made locally,also upgrade the size.I run 9/16" on both rigs.

XJ Dana 44 axle tubes measure 2.76" in diameter. The XJ Dana 35 axle measures 2.64" in diameter, and the 8.25 measure 3.0".

Back