• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire report; BFG AT

viperbaron

NAXJA Forum User
This summer I put a set of BFG AT's on my XJ. After that snow storm of late March 2007 out in Colorado, I figured I really could use a set of tires with a more aggressive tread to get to/from my home out in the county.
Well, winter has come now and along with it is the snow.
My old, street tread Michelin tires performed better than the BFG's! I have spun-out several times now with the BFG's while going through corners...corners where cars in front of me negotiate with ease.
The trail performance of these tires has been less than stellar too.
These BFG AT's are disapointing. Now I'll have to find another set of tires, because these BFG's are pathetic.
Slip & slid, slip & slid...:thumbsdown: BFG AT

I'm quite happy with my ATs. I haven't had any complaints on the trail, and they're nice and quiet on the highway. Snow traction isn't great, but they're not snow tires...

Really? That many issues.... I have used BFG at's for quite some time and love them. I have tried others including mich. but none compare... Oh well to each their own!

I never liked my BFG ATs, They were loud for an AT tire & not very good during wet slippery conditions, But I lived with them. 40K Miles later I replaced them with Perilli Scorpion ATRs, Much less slip in the NY snow/rain, Ride nice & good off road traction.
But remember tires are like mens taste in women, Everyone likes what they like!!

i've never had issues w/ my AT's on my blazer. i just take a lil more care when its snowy and icy, but thats about it. plus the blazer already came with AT's, and didnt want to fork over $$ for 5 tires of a diff brand.

I have a set on my XJ and they were dissapointing in the pre-christmas in Des Moines. The fill in easily and do not self clean. The XJ slip and slide too much. I also have to use 4X4 on roads where a regular passenger car go with no problem. I like them on the road and on the trails I do. In mud, snow and ice,....... they could use some help in that department.

Lower your tire pressure. If you are running them higher than 25 psi they dont seem to perform anywhere but the highway.
I have owned 4 sets of them on different vehicles and I am only happy when they are low in pressure.

Cody

All Terrain. I think they designed the tire to be not-so-good anywhere but good-enough everywhere. I have 2 sets and love them. For normal street use, they work like normal tires. Off road, I can air them down and get pretty good traction. Snow (Live in Colorado too), well, we have 4wd. Furthermore, the ATs are head over heels better than a standard mud tire.

codysown said:
Lower your tire pressure. If you are running them higher than 25 psi they dont seem to perform anywhere but the highway.
I have owned 4 sets of them on different vehicles and I am only happy when they are low in pressure.

Cody

I did not try that. I run 32/30 PSI front/rear. I am back in Miami and hope I never see or drive on snow again in life(I need to add that to my wish list). Yea lower PSI = wider foot print.

Wow, the original post seems to go against everything I have found with my AT's
BFG AT's 33x10.5 are rocking this winter season. We have had lots of snow up here this year, and they are performing sooo much better than my Dayton AT's I got rid of. Whether it be a light powder on the roads before the plow gets to it, or 2' of snow on unkept trails, these are working for me. I had a hard time tracking down the narrower tire, but have decided as long as I can find them, these will be my road tire from here on it.
Watching those with the MT's coming in sideways to a stop, or taking off from it, just one more reason to keep the AT's for me.
I run them at 32psi aswell, and haven't changed them yet.

I think the snow performance with my 33x10.50's is great. I also have 31x10.50's and the 33's much are better in the snow.

techno1154 said:
Yea lower PSI = wider foot print.

I dont think its so much the footprint but the tread closing and opening up again to release the compacted snow. Just my theory though.

I did find my last set of AT K/O's did alot better than the originals. I had about 20k on them when I Traded my truck and it didn't look like they were broke in yet.

With all tires there are trade off, you just have to figure out which ones your going to live with.

I dont have a set now but I am going to get a set of 285/70r/20s for my new truck and I hope they do better than the bald street tires on there now.

T Cody

I am on my 3rd set of BFG AT's. Right after they came out I put a set on my Dodge PowerRam and am now on the 2nd set on my XJ (currently 31x10.50). I love them. The spinning out on snow when the 4x4 is not engaged is going to happen. There is plenty of torque and a lack of weight over the rear tires-especialy when the fuel tank is half empty. I ran Michelin street tires on my first XJ - I never changed them because I could never get them to wear out - BUT they balled up in the mud/clay instantly. The BFG's still get it done - during a particularly muddy time, I made it into our deer camp and almost all the way out in nothing but mud. I only got stuck because I got high centered (thanks to the guy rutting the road to hell with his 38 TSL's on his shortbed Chevy). The other guy I went with had a Z-71 that barely made it 100 yards... in. So you know just how muddy, we only got out with the help of a pair of quarter horses that compete in pulling competitions.

I stand by these tires - and I run mine at 45 psi on the street.

So I'm assuming that you can run larger-than-stock size tires at higher psi b/c they are bigger? I just checked my manual on proper inflation of my stock tires and it said 34 psi if I remember correctly.(Actually I'm going to go re-check to make sure I'm correct on the psi).

So what I'm asking I guess is, what psi should I use with my brand-new BFG AT size 30x9.5x15?

I think 30 psi is what most guys run, my TOYO AT's are at 30, any higher and it feels like i'm driving in a tank.

fizassist said:
Snow traction isn't great, but they're not snow tires...

The newer BFG A/T KO's ARE a snow tire in their own right, they are severe weather approved which means that when running through mountain passes you are no required to chain up if you have 4WD when there is a storm warning or heavy snow. This is due to rubber compound, tread block design, siping and approval by RMA and RAC.
The old BFG A/T's were about as useful as a pair of ski's.

Queue Rev comments.

Back