• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj fi have to pump gas to start?

crrider833

NAXJA Forum User
So one day i started my jeep and moved it forward 15 ft and killed it cause it was early in the morn and i was only half way in it. Anyway tried to start it up and it only turned over??? Fuel pump works, have spark, have gas to the rail, no check engime lite on. Talked to a few people and they said prom the crank sensor but the next day i went to start it and it was tough but it eventually caught and started?? It warmed up like a 2 stroke if i hit the gas it would die or sputter. Now i have no idea what to check or change. Now when it is tough to start i pump the gas once and it starts right up and now check engine light comes on and off. Also when i am on the freeway i can be crusing at 70 hit the gas and it stutters:( wtf???

There are a lot of prior threads here on your problem and how to diagnose it. First, if you have not already done so, read the forum FAQ on how to search here. Then in addition to searching your symptom words, seach for how to test and diagnose the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, use the words, not the TPS acronym as the search engine here does not work on anything less than 4 characters or letters), IAC, (Idle Air Controller), both are attached to the throttle body, and if you do not have some kind of manual, like Chiltons, or Haynes, go buy one at the local auto parts store for about $17. Eventually you will want an FSM (Factory Service Manual).

The TPS, IAC or the relay that powers it, the IAT (Intake air temperature controller), or even some sticking open fuel injectors can cause your problem.

Sounds like your getting too much fuel and not enough air at start up. The throttle, gas peddle, does not control fuel rate at start up, but does allow more air, so if the TPS and or IAC, or IAT are bad, and causing the computer to inject too much fuel it can flood. If you hold the throttle to the floor, it turns off the fuel and lets it dry out and start if it has been flooded.

Also, you can cycle the ignition on and off, 2 seconds on, 2 senconds off, 3 times, last step leave it on the third time and it will flash a light that is a numeric code for any computer error codes it has stored.

The TPS does wear out, the IAC does get sticky and needs carefull cleaning and oiling...etc. Also, there are some good links to how too's with pictures of some of the sensors in some of the old threads here.

thx for the 411, i have been looking on here and other sites and have gotten ideas on what to do but there are so many little differences i thought i should post my own.

Back