• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSL Radial vs. BFG MT

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After searching through several tire threads, and doing my own research, I have narrowed my tire choices down to either the TSL radial or BFG MT in the 33x10.50x15 size. I know the BFG is going to have good road manners, but what about the TSL? I have LTBs right now, and they're more square than round, which sucks on a DD, hence the tire change.

The TSLs come a little cheaper, but are the street manners going to be similar to the LTB even though it is a radial? I hate to compromise trail performance, but I drive the rig daily, and don't wheel as much as I would like. I'm pretty much locked in to the 33x10.50 due to my wheel/hi-steer setup, so please don't suggest other 33x12.50s, they won't fit without rubbing the TRE.

I love my BFGs except for one problem. The sidewalls slice like butter, thank god I got a road hazzard warranty. I really like them though, mud, rock, rain, pavement they act great and are wearing like iron. But I have two with slow leaks right now and I bet its more sidewall cuts. My wheeling buddies all run either baja claws or the MTZ mickeys and have no issues with sidewall cuts. I really like the MTZs but they were not out when I got my BFGs.

I ran tsls on one of my old trucks and thought they did ok on the street. Of course these were bias but i still got a lot of tread life out of them. One thing i did notice is that when it is raining on newly asphalted roads, mine would spin a little. Course that could have been cause i didnt have any weight over the rear tires like you would with a xj. If i had to do it over again, i would definately go with the tsl's. Not to bad on the street and really good offroad.

Other than the noise and the feeling of lugs at cold low speeds, my radial TSLs didn't feel much different than the BFG ATs I had on it previously.

Another thing to keep in mind is a TSL might be taller than the BFG, if that matters to you. At least thats what Ive heard, my 32s were 32.4" tall new. But the 31" BFG was slightly smaller than 31", but I would confirm that elsewhere.

Heh, I just PMed you to ask the same thing :D

I am going from 34s back to 33s, so a taller 33 would be nice. I compared the specs on each tire, and the BFG measured in at 32.8 and the TSL at 32.7; roughly the same.

How bad was the noise? My LTBs whine loud enough to drown out the exhaust - I have to watch the tach to see when it shifts, I can't hear it. I don't really want that again.

The noise is probably less of a landing jet and more of a dull road :D Probably not much of an improvement at all...

My TSL radials are lightweight, and queit on the road ( compared to Bias).

Traction on rock and deep mud are worse, but on road ice/snow/rain is greatly improved ( again comparing to Bias Tsl, not bfg's, never ran em)

36x12.50 (35.x") on a 16x8 with 4.5bs
82ubtop.jpg

The new BFG MT KM2 has improved sidewall!! Best all around tire IMO!! Interco tires are crap for DD IMO!!

I'm pretty much resolved to the BFG. I can only imagine that the TSL will howl like the LTB, it is a Swamper after all. I have heard about sidewall problems with the BFG, but we'll see how it goes. They don't make the KM2 in many useable sizes yet, so it'll be the KM series.

Thanks for the input!

FWIW,

I had a set of bias ply swampers on my DD/trailrig and they lasted 8 months until they were completely bald and cupping badly...

My BFG Mud Terrains have been on there for a year and 3 months and they look almost new.

HTH

-Tim

In sept the KM2 comes out in 15 and 16 inch flavors if you can wait. You could get some high tec retreads for the time being and save up for the KM2s.

Just a thought..

RenegadeStang said:
The TSL radial sidewalls are paper-thin. BFG have a 3-ply sidewall, TSL's have a 2-ply.

yeah, but the TSL will give flex and stretch, the BFG will just tear open.

had one set of BFGs, in 3 weeks, only 2 of them didn't have holes in the sidewalls.

fukk BFG junk.

CheapXJ said:
yeah, but the TSL will give flex and stretch, the BFG will just tear open.

had one set of BFGs, in 3 weeks, only 2 of them didn't have holes in the sidewalls.

fukk BFG junk.

Hmmm.... Working at 4WP, I get about 4-5 times more warranties on TSL radials than I do BFG MT's...

RenegadeStang said:
The TSL radial sidewalls are paper-thin. BFG have a 3-ply sidewall, TSL's have a 2-ply.

i wouldnt hesistate to say this is incorrect as far as thickness.

this is a TSL radials sidewall, easily thicker than any BFG ive seen. i ran BFGs for 2 years

IMG_0734.jpg

Back