• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputter-fart-dead!

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
well I would love to do a search but just don't know were to start.
I was driving home today and .... sputter-sputter-fart-dead. I managed to get it going again long enough to get off the road but then quit again. When I got out to look under the hood there was a puddle of coolant under the truck. the motor was very hot to the touch but the gauge on the dash said it was o.k. any ideas ?

Sounds like over heat.. Check all the hoses an stuff..If there is no coolant it will not read temp....Hope you didn't hurt the motor..After it cools down try to start it......

what would cause it to over heat? I checked the coolant yesterdad and all was good.

T-stat could be bad or sticking.. Hose could be bad.. Lots of things can make it lose coolant... Need to check all of them.. Re-fill rad before trying to start.....

Not once have I ever got a straight answer out of any one here..... obviosly the lac of coolant would be a problem but ther had been no leek before and the coolant was full yesterday.

Do you happen to notice if the coolant recovery bottle (plastic thing on the passenger side of the engine) was wet or around it?

Just trying to figure if the coolant "boiled over" or if something burst.....like a hose, or the radiator.

I'm going to GUESS and say something burst. You'll notice the temp getting higher before it boils over. But if it just lets go the temp won't necessarily register. Who knows, maybe it burst and got the alternator wet, which in turn died on you.....

93 XJ right? I'm going to assume based on your username.....so it's going to be the open cooling system.

soory for the out burst I'm a little pissed right now do to the rig being a dd

Post's with lack of info get lacking response. Did you look for coolant around the Water pump and Hoses, obvisously the coolant was 'coming' from somewhere. IF not spewing out of the cap then where?

Do you have coolant in your rad? Did you check your oil for water? Re-fill your rad an try to see if it leaks.. If it doesn't , try to start it up.. Then get back to use to see if we can help

Upper hose, lower hose, water pump, cracked radiator end tanks...

most problems on jeeps just happen all the sudden...the jeep isnt gonna say "hey dude, i'm about to blow the water pump in 2 days, better get on that..."

if there was a puddle, it should be pretty obvious where the leak is coming from.

ok now I'm just confused... I've gone out and filled the rad up again but it only took a little bit of coolant. Got the rig started ..tryed to drive around back to a place I could work on it and it stalled started stalled finally got it there. had it running for a while and found there was a leek right were the over flow hose goes into the rad by the cap. fixed said leek then the truck ran for a while and quit now it won't start. ?????

Did the temp guage get anywhere near the norm when you had it running this last time? Do you recall putting your hand on the large radiator line going to the top of the radiator when it was ruuning? Was it hot or cold?

If you answer no, yes, and cold I would say its the water pump.

I can get it running every hour or so for a few minutes and then dies. when i step on the gas it stumbles or if I put it in gear it stumbles. the temp gauge is acting normal.

Last edited:
Back