• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Measuring for custom (axle) shafts

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
How much of the inside of the side gears should you see with the axle shaft in place? Any? Should you see any splines on the axle shaft? Should the end of the shaft be flush with the inside edge of the side gear?

And on the other end... how much space should there be between the end of the axle tube and the beginning of the axle shaft "flange"? (I'm talking to the inside of the the u-joint)

LMK if I need to illustrate my questions :wierd:

Thanks,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
How much of the inside of the side gears should you see with the axle shaft in place? Any? Should you see any splines on the axle shaft? Should the end of the shaft be flush with the inside edge of the side gear?

And on the other end... how much space should there be between the end of the axle tube and the beginning of the axle shaft "flange"? (I'm talking to the inside of the the u-joint)

LMK if I need to illustrate my questions :wierd:

Thanks,
Billy

Well the carrier side needs to be within about 1/8" from the center pin the U joint side needs to be centered on the center of the ball joint as it needs to pivot on the same plane

rockwerks said:
Well the carrier side needs to be within about 1/8" from the center pin the U joint side needs to be centered on the center of the ball joint as it needs to pivot on the same plane

Thanks for the response. My C's aren't welded back on yet, so I've got a little bit of wiggle room on the outside ends.... How close is too close to the end of the axle tube? I may have to shave a bit more off.

Thanks,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Thanks for the response. My C's aren't welded back on yet, so I've got a little bit of wiggle room on the outside ends.... How close is too close to the end of the axle tube? I may have to shave a bit more off.

Thanks,
Billy

as long as they dont bottom out id guess you should be fine

In my opinion, the shaft should be fully in the side gear. Slightly beyond is ok too. Slightly less is probably ok as well, but I would rather see beyond or flush. I believe my shafts were about 1/8" from hitting the end of the tube when properly inserted. Check the pics on my www.madxj.com article from a few years ago. Jeff

Back