• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Batteries in the cargo area?

ColoradoRaptor

Headbanging Hillbilly
Anyone here runnin 2 batteries mounted in the cargo area? If so pics please. Ideas are welcome aswell. Thanks!!:NAXJA:

you going to be welding with the two batteries? one battery in mine takes up alot of room, considering the room that must be left open for me access it.
I keep a tire back there also, so space gets limited.

Yeah, I was thinkin the room may be an issue. I may go with just one but was wonderin if anyone had done it and how.

I wish I could remember, but there was a company that sold gell cells that you could mount in diffrent locations to save space.
I you could image taking the optima battery apart, that is what they sold.

If it were something I'd need semi-regular access to, I'd put them up behind the seat (out of the way,) and use an Anderson connector for a powerpoint somewhere a bit more convenient. Of course, this is in addition to the wiring to charge them. This would allow me to tap in to the batteries without having to play with the wiring just to get to them - although, if you're going to need the batteries in series (24VDC, vice 12VDC,) it would take some creativity. I've not thought about making that work without having to pull the wiring off the battery physically - one of these days, I should probably address that...

You might be able to stack them in the far back passenger side corner. IMO you would have to use an Optima battery or equivalent for maitenece reasons and for the venting etc. That wieght would also offset the driver as well.

DO NOT USE OPTIMA'S INSIDE!!!

optimas are gell cells and still emit gasses!!

the only battery actually recommended for interior use is oddesey batteries.

they are solid cells and emit no gasses. they are also much smaller in size which will be great for your application.

bandit455 said:

they are solid cells and emit no gasses. they are also much smaller in size which will be great for your application.

Yes, I have seen them. Very good batteries. I was thinking Dyna Batt, two of them maybe under the rear seat if I can get them to fit. Under the rear seat would be ideal but after looking at the room available there it is highly unlikely! The rear cargo area was my next chioce.

well if you are lifted high, you could fab some extended boxes that drop a little lower from under the seats just for the batteries.

BlueCuda said:
You might be able to stack them in the far back passenger side corner. .

Yes, I am concidering that. I also have been toying with the idea of building a sub box that would house the batteries/battery.

bandit455 said:

I guess your right, an optima does still emit gasses. However it is not a Gell battery.

Oddysey and Gel Batteries don't handle a charge from an alternator very well, they tend to get overcharged and swell up and they usually crack from this. I have seen some Oddyseys that were so swollen they would almost roll.

If you really want two batteries in the back this is what I would do after rethinking and being reminded that an Optima is not truly sealed. I would do two delco group 78s and vent them outside it would be easy. You could stack them directly on top of each other and since they are side posts it would be easy to parrelel (sp) them and power up your jeep. You could also use some group 91 batteries as they all have provisions for external venting and have smooth flat tops.

mk153smaw said:
well if you are lifted high, you could fab some extended boxes that drop a little lower from under the seats just for the batteries.

Very good idea!! I will look into that!!:thumbup:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Very good idea!! I will look into that!!:thumbup:

Sometimes, even idiots have a good day ;):gee:

I am high enough and that should be fairly easy! Next time i crawl under the heep I will take some measurements and see if it is possible!!

Colorado, Keep us informed of your progress, I am looking into doing this as well. I plan on using 2 1200 amp odysseys. I have one now and after 5 years of constant abuse it's finally starting to shaow it's age.

Dingo

Back