• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone break a locked Chrysler 8.25?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
What did you break? Axle shaft? Ring and pinion? What tire size were you running? What kind of locker? Were kind of terrain were you on? From the specs, the 8.25 is a darn solid axle and even though I have since swapped it for a dana 44, I want to see what kind of abuse they have not been able to endure.

Not mine. One of SoCal guys in Big Bear last year.

674032842405_0_BG.jpg

z_lindig said:
holy pinion angle! is that just an optical illusion?

No, he broke his pinion yoke and his diff. rotated on the tubes... which says a lot about the "Guts" of the 8.25 a lot of axles would have snapped a shaft or something first.. this means that the tubes need to be welded to the diff next time, haha

z_lindig said:
holy pinion angle! is that just an optical illusion?
No.It broke the plug welds on the center section and spun around the tubes. Seen the same thing happen to a 35.

I haven't broken mine yet, there is a local guy that beats on his locked 27 spline without mercy on 35's. He scares me sometimes but that axle takes it.

JXPEEJ said:
I broke a 27 spline axle with a trac lock and 31's.
What did you break? The axle shaft? What kind of wheeling were you doing? More details por favor.

Mine is getting the tubes welded and trussed! Should hold for what ever I throw at it!

29 spline 8.25 with a powertrax, 4.56's, alloys (i think yukons got them used but they have no neckdowns and a thicker flange) running 35" baja claws and its takin a good amount of abuse, smacked the case couple times harder then ive wanted to and no problems

I twisted the hell out of two 29 spline alloy shafts (on seperate occasions). One twisted bad right at the splines on the outside of the side gear, so i almost couldnt push the axle in to remove the c-clip, about 2 hours of beating with a BFH/clamps/prybars & screwdrivers the clip was out....... f#%kin pain in the ass c-clips.
Besides that.... it held up reasonably fine with a Detroit & 35" MTR's wheeling in heavy rocks. I was always quite gentle on the skinny pedal though.
I think its a fairly good axle...... just not for big rocks on 35's.:)

i got a 27spline on 33's with welded spiders. i wheel with finesse, but when the obstacles are to big i wail on it till she goes where i want to go. i was actually one of the people that didn't think it would last me more than a couple trips but i had a D44 laying in the garage as a backup for when it breaks.

here i am a year later after having beaten the living sh** out of it in the rocks, wheel hop, and worse, and everybody that wheels with me is still surprised it isn't broken. i'm going to be swapping in my D44 soon because i'm tired of waiting for it to break and my wife bought me a set of 4.88 gears for the D44 and D30 as a b-day gift.

i'm impressed by it.

sjd78 said:
A friend of mine snapped a 29 spline stock axle shaft going through gate keeper at Calico. He has a Detroit locker and 35" BFG's

Ya his friend sure did LOL.

My front passenger tire and rear driver’s side tires were both up against 4ft under cut rocks. I trapped the gas, hit 2500 rpm, and the 8.25 shaft went pop. In the process it took out 1/2 my Detroit.
Never seen a cleaner brake.
1209072057.jpg

looks like its right at the taper too?

BakersfieldXJ said:
Yep right on the end of the taper. It was so clean I could lick the brake w/ no fear.
Haha...I was wondering what was taking you so long to post! :moon: I bet they were all thinking....Yeah, another one of those " I have a friend who did" stories lol.

Back