• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter trouble

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok, for the life of me either i'm retarted or the jeep is. I can't remember which way to hook these wires back up on the starter. I connected them the way i thought they should be, and got sparks like it was a welder when i reconnected the negative on the battery post.

here are pics from below the starter, it's a 95 4.0 6cyl..

any help would be great.

DSCF2161.jpg

starter.jpg

Here is a pic from my XJ (1993). That is shot from the front bumper looking back. The red wire goes to my push button I use when the NSS acts up. haha

starter.jpg

Where does that red wire go? Are you sure it goes to the battery positive post? I will go look at mine. I don't remember having that one. Did you just replace your starter or did you pull motor?

small wire goes on post #1 in your pic, both big wires go on post #2 in your pic

Thnking about it now. MAybe you factory wires went bad and someone replaced it with a regular wire. Where did you connect it when it smoked? I would guess (but don't go do it) it would go on what you have listed as #2.

Back