• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which year YJ steering gear has three bolts

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
I just read in one the threads that someone was running a YJ steering gear in the their XJ that only had the 3 bolts, instead if the 4. I understand that you can do a 4 bolt with the TnT upgrade. I already have Crok inner and outer plates, so a 3 bolt seems like an easy swap.

if you use the YJ box (I think all of them have four bolt mounting holes) 3 out of the four will line up with your c-rock it will still be a upgrade just not as strong as the tnt set up

Hmmm...Maybe he was only running three out of the four? Seems to me thats probably not a good idea?

98XJROKS said:
Hmmm...Maybe he was only running three out of the four? Seems to me thats probably not a good idea?
So driving any cherokee is not a good idea?

RyanM said:
So driving any cherokee is not a good idea?

Point taken....

But, the YJ box is 3:1 variable and is supposed to have more power to turn larger tires...Mine is leaking, so I took it out last night and before I run down to pick up a new one I figured I would swap in a different box.

I know the 99 durango works.
The only deal breaker would be if I had to swap in a new pump too...

Last edited:
I'm assuming the following;

YJ 6 cyl 4wd any year?

And I'm not too sure of the following;

Durango 98' - 6 cyl / 8 cyl 2wd 4wd?

WheelinJR said:
Durango has to be the V8 box...I know the 99 works, not sure what other years.

I found a thread that goes into more depth. the 99 sounds like it will give you a shorter turning radius whereas the 98 is a spittin image of the XJ box unless you buy the snow plow option..

I think I've decided to go with the YJ box. Sounds like it will get me the 3:1.1 with a slight boost with the addition of the 4th mounting ear.

Back