• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got My NP242

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
I got a NP242 today for my '90. I currently have the NP231. I got the Tcase and the whole shifter linkage including the bezel for the console.

I plan to rebuild the case. To that end, anyone here rebuilt one before? I have the FSM and have mechanical skills and a good shop to work in. I just have not yet done one.

Any suggestions? Anything to pay particular attention to?

Now to find one for the Comanche...

I've got a good question here. Will the 242 out of a ZJ work for a XJ? I would take that they are the same? Thanks, as I am wanting to go part-time xfered.

I have a good question why would you want to replace a 231 with a 242?

ihscoutlover said:
I've got a good question here. Will the 242 out of a ZJ work for a XJ? I would take that they are the same? Thanks, as I am wanting to go part-time xfered.

Depends.. IF the zj had a AW4 which was very few in 93-94 I beleive, then yes... BUT!!!
If it had a 42RE or any other pretty much, the output shaft is shorter than a XJ 242 and the ZJ 242 input isnt deep enough... Already tried...

1985xjlaredo said:

im concidering the swap. some people want the full time option.

op
did you buy a rebuild kit? depending on what year the 242 is, you may need to use the main shaft from the 231.

what year is the 242 case?

1985xjlaredo said:

Full time baby, great for snow/ice.. keep it in as long as ye wants, 231 has been known to grenade at times.

I rebuilt my 242 last month, it was an experience... you need GOOOD snap ring pliers and a lot of patience. I kept a peice of styrofoam to put my bolts in order and a plastic tackle box for snap rings and small parts...

Back