• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drain XXXX incorrect size? No other choices..

PDeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee. Inline six. OEM Radiator. Napa and Baxter both issue the same replacement drain c.ock (or pet c.ock??), but it doesn't fit correctly like the OEM plug.

Maybe it's just figgity? I've tried and tried but I can't get it to screw in.

Replacement plug:
215510.jpg

"Dimensions:Screw-in Type 5/8"-18
Features & Benefits:Replaces Stripped or Deteriorated Radiator Drain c.ock
Ensures Leak Free OEM Fit & Function "

OEM:
XXXX.JPG
XXXX.JPG
drain.JPG

The handle thing on this one broke off last time so i managed to wedge it back it, but it's way too messed up to use again.

The drain c.ock hole:
rad1.JPG

rad2.JPG

The jeep is my primary mode of transport and has been sitting in the garage for almost a week. any help is much apprecieted...

The stock drain is broken or twisted off, right?

I pulled it out, it's the oem drain plug. The spout part is slightly damaged, yes. With the old oem in there it didn't leak much.

Are you sure its the stock or original radiator? I've had to put new rads in all 4 of my XJ's and none of the new rads have the same style plug as it did stock.

From the pics I would say you broke off and lost part of the rim around the opening on the radiator. I would use a bunch of JB Weld epoxy on it the stock part to repair it. I don't think that generic drain plug assembly is going to fit, it looks like it is for an all metal radiator like my CJ-7 has. I remove the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant on my 2000.

I just replaced the radiator in my 87. You pay shipping you can have the old petcock. Better yet screw it, whats your address I will ship it out this week. No charge.
:yelclap:

mcnamaag = is the petcock the same as my oem plug?

tim = yeah i think having some of the exterior missing messes up the seal. you say you remove the lower hose... can you provide a picture for that? I think it's the one near my airbox, but i have a snorkel and it's damn near impossible to get to that hose.

I was thinking of putting the oem back in maybe for the mean time and make a simple plastic seal via vacuuformer with a hose clamp to keep it from leaking in the mean time. I'd rather not replace the whole radiator cause of this small issue. I replaced the thermostat cause It was overheating.

Sure does look like it. Let me know. I am in Ft Knox Ky by the way.

PDeeXJ said:
tim = . you say you remove the lower hose... can you provide a picture for that? I think it's the one near my airbox, but i have a snorkel and it's damn near impossible to get to that hose.

I slid back the hose clamp for the hose on the bottom drivers side of the radiator. It was a little tight but it works.

Yeah the sides are plastic. Okay well I put the old draincock in there and vacuuformed a little piece of plastic to cover the whole outlet, then zip tied it.

It's holding well but I'll put mcnamaag's in when it arrives at a later date.

Curious though:

I put in a new tstat, with the little gasket it comes with. Started filling the radiator and water started coming from the bottom of the t-stat cover. I thought the seal was good, but maybe the tstat popped out of it's groove when i was putting the cover on.

I've read some people use RTV in addition to that gasket? Or just use RTV by itself? What is RTV by the way? I don't own any but was curious if maybe holding the thermostat in place with a little piece of tape would be okay and see if that helps or just go with RTV...

thx

It's possible your tstat housing is cracked. I cracked two of them.

Get some Permatex red RTV.....smear it around on the gasket, on both sides....will keep the gasket and thermostat in upon reassembly as well, and will help seal better!

rtv-2.jpg

Wifes 98 had same problem-O -ring on the plastic drain broke.Thing doesn,t have a standard thread,so what is pictured for the replacement won,t work.
Dealer will be the place to get that POS plastic part
T-stat probably fell out of the groove when you put the housing on,try again,I use a small dab of RTV to hold the stat in,plus a coating of Indian Head Shellac to stick the gasket to the housing.

Wayne

Okay well i got the draincock figured out and the seal. I filled it up about a gallon and a half and put the cap back on and ran it for a few moments to hear air and fluid spewing. there's a hole in a line on the front or actually on the radiator.

I think it has to go. Suggestions for my 98?

Do you still need the petcock sent out ? Let me know.

Back