• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

syping swampers.....(bias tsl's)

what you do is you sip your tires to water.

Then you attach torches in front of all the tires so it warms the ice up and turns the ice into water!!!!

But honestly no idea how well it will help

Where are those dang canadians when you need em eh?

bandit455 said:
what you do is you sip your tires to water.

Then you attach torches in front of all the tires so it warms the ice up and turns the ice into water!!!!

But honestly no idea how well it will helpvantage is tires reallystart chunking offroad in the sharp rocky stuff

Where are those dang canadians when you need em eh?

What???
Siping tires really does help traction on ice and wet roads/rocks. I usually run siped mud terrains in the winter so I can tell you there is a huge difference between siped and not siped. The disadvantage is tires really start chunking offroad in the sharp rocky stuff

If you look at winter snow tires, they are have a ton of siping on them, the siping helps with the snow and ice.

Siping definately helps in snow/ice. Due to capilary effect, I believe.

du_winter_sport_m3_ci1_l.jpg

agreed, but to thread starter:

Good luckgetting your tires anywhere near the level of siping as that snow tire snaggle posted. Because to get anything out of a tire on ice thats pretty much what it has to be like.

Even budget snow tires have a billion sipes.

When you get tires siped "after the fact" it just makes straight cluts along the tread.

Better than nothing. But yes, it voids warranties and sometimes the rubber will chunk off....say if a sipe is made near the end of a lug, etc.

I see alot of siped tire around here in nw wisconsin since we hold ice races every weekend once there is enough ice on the lakes and yes it makes a huge difference on traction and a few people i do know run siped tires all winter long on their daily drivers.

Siping Bias TSL's, your serious? Bahahaha...

I work at Discount Tire, and I can tell you that siping TSL's aint gonna do much. Hell, I don't think we'de even sipe a TSL if you tried to have us do it. The most your can really do with a TSL is groove them...big difference between grooving and siping. Don't take this as bashing TSL's either...I had planned un running them, until I got a great deal on some Iroks :D

Now siping MTR's, different story. We've siped those and it *can* make a difference. The voids and lugs on TSL's are so large, it wont do much at all...

There is more to siping than water displacement...... The sipe cuts allow for the cut area to flex & generate heat more than a larger solid block, improving traction. Obviously a snow tire wont see a large increase in tire temp but the flexier contact area should improve traction.

what siping does is make alot of small slits in the tire and these slits when driving on ice, grab the ice as the tire rolls over it therefor making a slight suction to the surface.... I have seen all sorts of tires siped it would help with any tread pattern.

what siping does is make alot of small slits in the tire and these slits when driving on ice, grab the ice as the tire rolls over it therefor making a slight suction to the surface.... I have seen all sorts of tires siped it would help with any tread pattern.

This is correct. Capillary effect. Also makes the blocks more flexible in cold temps.

Siping makes a huge difference. I had my 38.5" SX's center chevrons siped a couple of years ago, they literally came alive in the snow, dirt, rocks, everything, it made a very noticeable difference. The sipes allow for many more biting edges on all surfaces. They also allow the carcass to flex better. A tread block with numerous deep cuts will flex and grab much better than a solid one. It's been said that the heat dissipation allowed by siping gives the tread more highway life too.

For $10-15 bucks a tire, siping is well worth it.

Yes, I have TSLs, and I siped the center two lugs, just a 1/4" deep, and it does help in the snow/ice. Wheeled on them twice in the snow and twice in the dirt since and haven't had any chunking yet. It would help it the answers you received were based more on actual experience than opinion and hearsay.

BTW, I did it myself with a razor knife.

Back