• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two 231 questions

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Rightseatsis' 2001 XJ. 4.0/aw4/231. Stock. Stock everything.
The transfer case is really noisey, the fluid drained out more like mercury than ATF. Finally got a chance to look at it.

1. The output shaft has about 1/2" fore & aft play. The oil slinger is dented in, looks like it got slammed forward by the slip yoke of the driveshaft. When the shaft is pulled rearward and spun, no noise, when shoved forward clacking racket. I have it up on the bench but haven't split the case open yet, nor have I opened a service manual yet. Haven't searched either, I am lazy and just wondering if any of you had ideas.

2. Different Jeep, 231 front output seal is leaking, not bad, not dripping but slinging a spray up onto the underside of the Jeep. Is this seal removable from the outside of the case? Just pull the front yoke and replace seal? Have not opened a service manual yet, haven't searched either, I am lazy and just wondering if any of you had ideas.

Thanks,
Tom

Boatwrench said:
Rightseatsis' 2001 XJ. 4.0/aw4/231. Stock. Stock everything.
The transfer case is really noisey, the fluid drained out more like mercury than ATF. Finally got a chance to look at it.

1. The output shaft has about 1/2" fore & aft play. The oil slinger is dented in, looks like it got slammed forward by the slip yoke of the driveshaft. When the shaft is pulled rearward and spun, no noise, when shoved forward clacking racket. I have it up on the bench but haven't split the case open yet, nor have I opened a service manual yet. Haven't searched either, I am lazy and just wondering if any of you had ideas.

2. Different Jeep, 231 front output seal is leaking, not bad, not dripping but slinging a spray up onto the underside of the Jeep. Is this seal removable from the outside of the case? Just pull the front yoke and replace seal? Have not opened a service manual yet, haven't searched either, I am lazy and just wondering if any of you had ideas.

Thanks,
Tom

1) Haven't seen the inside of the case in a while, but it sounds like you pounded out the bearing if you bottomed out the yoke. Hell, if you've got 1/2" endplay, you've probably bottomed out the bearing and crushed it (you hope. Else, you've managed to wreck the case.)

2) I'm fairly sure you don't need to dismount/disassemble the case, but the same caveat applies.

(Lazy bastage...:laugh3: )

You probably popped the snap ring. If you push too hard on the shaft it will make the snap ring pop out of the grove and let the shaft move forward. When it goes forward it disengages from the oil pump and misaligns in the planetary area. The oil pump feeds oil to the center of the main shaft/input pilot bearing and flows through the planetary. If the oil looks like Mercury it probably smoked the oil pump. The screen just keeps big junk out. All you can do is try to fix the snap ring problem and see what happens. I wouldnt plan any long trips. Probably plan on a new tcase. Pull the drive shaft and the tail housing. You will need a new ring and a pair of special flat tip snap ring pliers. Hopefully you didn't damage the grove for the snap ring. The slip yoke eliminator kits keep this from happening. Actually it should be called a sye relocator, it moves the slip yoke down to the other end of the shaft. Yes you can remove the front yoke and replace the seal. Be careful not to damage the aluminum housing taking it out. Be careful how deep you dig at the seal or you could damage the bearing cage. If you have a ton of miles and do lots of mud you may need a new yoke. Over the years the seal lip will wear a groove in the yoke. Inspect the area the seal sits on. It should be smooth. There should not be a groove worn in the yoke surface. If if its bad it will just start leaking again. Depends on how bad it is, new seal will buy you time .

Last edited:
Back