• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clarification on a death wobble

Fourxfour79

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,
the short or it: when the vehicle is on the ground, with someone turning the steering wheel, I notice that the frame side mount on the track bar (the ball joint thingy on the track bar) moves up and down. It doesn't appear to be a movement I want but am still new to diagnosing XJ's. I also notice that when the wheel is turned from one side to the other (just enough to start to put stress on the steering components) that the steering (gear) box has a clunk in it with some slight movement where the pitman arm mounts to the box (i'm sure that it's not where the box mounts to the vehicle. The question being are the steering box and the track bar both shot.

backround:
I have a death wobble which feels like it may be originating from the drivers side and did some research here finding out how to check various joints and common problems. I've rotated my tires and checked my u-joints (just in case) and then started looking at steering issues. Ball joints on drivers side were replaced because there was excessive play in the old pry bar test. I took it for a spin and found that there is still a significant wobble at the same speeds pre ball joint swap (around 50-75 mph). There is also a fair amount of bump steer and the vehicle pulls ever so slightly to the right. (In reading previous posts here i hear say that it's usually a pull to the left with track bar issues). I also listened to the wheel bearings on the driver's side.

the jeep:
99 cherokee sport, 110k, I 6, no serious accidents or wheeling done with her and she's hunter green with factory privacy glass:flipoff: . I just want to fix the problem so that I can sell it with a clear concience. I've spent many a nights and many a beer pondering and sniffing about that damn front end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

1993 Red XJ said:
Replace the bushing in the track bar don't buy a new track bar. Also check control arm bushings.

Are you worthless? :looser:
How you going to replace a bushing in a TRE? I'd love to see a write up on that.

Sounds like your trackbar is shot. I assume it's a stock track bar. Some of the after market adjustables use a replaceable TRE, but with the stock trackbar, you have to replace the whole unit. If it is an aftermarket adjustable unit, just replace the TRE and call it aday. There should be no movement at all other than left to right. No movement up and down anywehere while setting on level ground and the steering is being cycled back and forth. Verify that both ends of the track bar are tight after install. Lots of death wobble cases are track bar realted.

I'd give the mounting area of the steering box another look. It's somewhat common for the boxes to fatigue the framerail enough that it cracks. This usually occurs on rigs running larger tires, but anyting is possible.

HTH

Hale

Back