• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More than 85 MPH!!

Pleiner87

NAXJA Forum User
has any body else looked down at your XJ's gauge cluster and wanted to see more than 85 mph? In the U.S. the 85mph speedo is in all of our xj's up to 1997 when it was changed to 100mph, my '95 YJ's speedo goes to 100mph! I have looked around and noticed that in the UK cherokee's speedo goes to 120 MPH as the main measurement and kilometers as the secondary (like we already have). My question is has anybody tried to get their hands on a european cherokee's gauge cluster? The way most chrysler things are i bet it would just carryover and plug in.
Only uk and u.s. special service cherokee's are in MPH, others like germany, china, or canada are in KPH. soo... anybody want to work out a foreign speedo exchange program???

Ypu're positive the main unit was MPH??? It could be that the main unit was KM and the secondary was MPH...find it hard to believe that the UK uses MPH since the United States is the only country in the world not on the metric system.

Ive pushed my XJ through the desert inbetween the H and the P in the MPH on bottom of speedo. I figured its about 100-130MPH with bigger tires and no modifier from stock tires to 31s. Thats with an auto AW4.

Never had that problem and when bought the jeep it never had swaybars and ive made some sharp turns and saves w/o crashin or flipping.

I don't really understand why a speedometer over 85 is necessary.

You know you're speeding. And you don't care, because you are speeding....so....

Plus how much time do you spend over 85 that it'd be crutial to have a speedometer reading higher?

-96JeepSpeed- said:
80MPH is about the speed were everything shakes like its about to explode. I try not to go that fast but its hard with all the ponypower the 4.0 has........lol

It smooths back out again around a 100.:D
My old 89 has a 180 KPH speedo, about 111.6 MPH and I can still go well beyond that.
It's embarrassing to get passed by a Smart.

Pleiner87 said:
has any body else looked down at your XJ's gauge cluster and wanted to see more than 85 mph? In the U.S. the 85mph speedo is in all of our xj's up to 1997 when it was changed to 100mph, my '95 YJ's speedo goes to 100mph! I have looked around and noticed that in the UK cherokee's speedo goes to 120 MPH as the main measurement and kilometers as the secondary (like we already have). My question is has anybody tried to get their hands on a european cherokee's gauge cluster? The way most chrysler things are i bet it would just carryover and plug in.
Only uk and u.s. special service cherokee's are in MPH, others like germany, china, or canada are in KPH. soo... anybody want to work out a foreign speedo exchange program???

It looks like I'm a little late to this party but maybe this photo will help:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2159526520_b62ceb7317_o.jpg

FYI, 100 Kph is very close to 60 Mph. 130 Kph is the highest posted speed limit I have encountered here in France although rumor has it that some crazed madman (who will NOT be named:D ) once drove this very same Jeep up to about 150-155 Kph. I don't think that experiment will ever be repeated.

I'm no expert on these things but I didn't notice anything unusual about the cluster when I was crawling around in the dash replacing blown light bulbs and surveying the damage done to the stereo wiring by the PO. Looks like a plug-and-play swap to me.:dunno:

I think the police package speedo's went to 110mph. I also believe the XJ is limited to 118mph. JIM.

keep0njeepin0n said:
the United States is the only country in the world not on the metric system.

Now that's just not true. Our friends Liberia and Myanmar have also not officially started using the metric system.

I want one of the 120MPH speedos. Seeing as my speedo does not work, well it does, but backwards, start off just below the "0" and goes to 85MPH.....now I would be able to do 120MPH....lol

Back