• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P305 Misfire in cyl. #5

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I'm going to be looking at a XJ this weekend but there is one problem with it. The owner told me it hasn't been driven in a year and when he started it up the check engine light came on. He pulled the code and it was P0305 mis fire in cyl. #5. He changed the plug and wire and it still throws the code. I searched and there were a few threads on this but the only fix was change the plug, wire and cap. What do you think it could be? It's getting spark to the plug.

97 Auto 4X4
Thanks

kdailey4315 said:
Hey all,
I'm going to be looking at a XJ this weekend but there is one problem with it. The owner told me it hasn't been driven in a year and when he started it up the check engine light came on. He pulled the code and it was P0305 mis fire in cyl. #5. He changed the plug and wire and it still throws the code. I searched and there were a few threads on this but the only fix was change the plug, wire and cap. What do you think it could be? It's getting spark to the plug.

97 Auto 4X4
Thanks

Bad or plugged fuel injector, or no signal to the fuel injector, or low compression from cylinder wear, or a head gasket leak, or leaky valve in the head. Check the compression before buying it!

kdailey4315 said:
Thanks I was going to do that. What is a normal compression reading?

Haynes says 120 to 150 PSI, and no more than 30 psi difference between adjacent cylinders in the firing sequence.

Back