• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount hell?!?!?!?!?!????!!!!!

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So i knew one of my mounts was cracking and decided to replace them both. I started on the passenger side and got the old one out, it wasnt that worn but the other one is. So i put the new one in on the passender side and bolted it to the chasis. iv been jacking the engine up by the front of the oil pan but cant get that long bolt to get into the rubber it is off by a fat 1/8" and with a pry bar and a screwdiver i cant get it.
Iv tried these tricks
losen the other mount
ratchet strapped the chasis to the front end and jacked the motor (it stops, dont know why)
and pryed the engine up from the mount and bracket.

I gotta get this done and it just isnt happening any tips that would help would be great or even stories of other peoples suffering may make me feel better thanks

I have a cheap little 2500lb winch I tied off to the ac bracket and pulled to a fence post in my garage (of course I had my radiator and stuff removed for the engine swap). Pulled hard enough to move jeep forward........unibody vehicles rock!!! haha

Good luck. I still have the skinned knuckle from when it slipped off the pry location. haha

I made some contraption with my hi lift but didnt quite cut it im going to get a few buddies over tomarrow and see what we can do

Ya, I didnt mention the slip off part that ended in the ER with stiches in my forehead ooops at least I didnt get hit with the pointy side of the wrecking bar....:shocked:

I am happy motor mounts dont fail so often....

silverslk said:
I have a cheap little 2500lb winch I tied off to the ac bracket and pulled to a fence post in my garage (of course I had my radiator and stuff removed for the engine swap). Pulled hard enough to move jeep forward........unibody vehicles rock!!! haha

Good luck. I still have the skinned knuckle from when it slipped off the pry location. haha

loosen the mount from the chassis. Then you should be able to wiggle it around. It is a PITA! I had to loosen the mount on the block on my TJ to get them to go in.

kakirubi said:
loosen the mount from the chassis. Then you should be able to wiggle it around. It is a PITA! I had to loosen the mount on the block on my TJ to get them to go in.

Yep, just did mine, replaced them with the MORE rubber mounts. I slipped the new mounts in place and jacked up the motor then slid the bolt right in.

kenny schmitt said:
No ideas huh, any tricks that could help pleeeez im stuck and im not getting anywhere its a 96 xj by the way??????

I have a 96, I just looked, the head of the bolt is aft of the mount, seems to have plenty of room to come out.
It is possible that I have previously changed the mount. I remember doing it either on the '87 or the 96.
Hard to remember but I either loosened up the mount bracket or cut the bolt and installed the new one with the head aft.
Sorry, it has been a while and I can't remember any details other that it was PITA and I was able to do it. It is also possible that I cut some of the threaded portion of the bolt to make it a little shorter. You only need one tread past the nut.
I wish I could be more helpful.

Back