• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Reverse While Driving at 40MPH

Kyle Horvath

NAXJA Forum User
I let the little sister borrow my XJ the other day. She popped it into reverse at 40 MPH. Rear tires chirped. Car had to be restarted. I have no problems right now. . . are there any common problems caused by this?
It's a 2000 XJ, sitting on 33's. C8.25 in the rear, eaton posi carrier.

I'd say if there's no noises that sound funny, you should be ok....however, it I was me, and I am, I would drop the pan just to make sure there aren't any metal chunks or shavings floating around in there.

I did it the summer before last accidentally...going maybe 30 mph or so. I was shifting from 3 to D and accidentally was holding the button and pushed the shifter too far forward in to R.

I think the tires chirped. Engine didn't die.

Haven't had any problems since but I did drain the trans fluid and did a few drains/refills since then.

Use DEXRON III if you decide to do that.

Why in good gods name would your sister be manually shifting your truck? Why would anyone do this in the first place? If it's damaged that's idiot tax for you.... Folks who manually shift their automatics are morons, and they always have slow cars that they want to drive faster than they should.

trucksgottaheXJ said:
Why in good gods name would your sister be manually shifting your truck? Why would anyone do this in the first place? If it's damaged that's idiot tax for you.... Folks who manually shift their automatics are morons, and they always have slow cars that they want to drive faster than they should.
When ever its in 4 lo i manually shift my auto. :thumbup:

no, my jeep hasnt gone 40mph in the last six months. Well not under its own power. It is trailered pretty much everywheres now. Im just saying that i shift it manually basically when ever im using it, Theres nothing wrong with shifting manually. Its just peoples personal preferences, :shocked: Although putting it in reverse at 40mph doesnt help the life of the drive train. And if i put my jeep in 4wd at all on pavement, some not so pretty things would happen :explosion

I'd check out the u-joints pretty closely,keepan eye on how it shifts and listen for strange sounds for a while.And slap your sister......really hard.

Last edited:
trucksgottaheXJ said:

I usualy shift an auto,alot of people do.And we're not morons,so STFU and Yuck Fou(that means have a nice day in Japanese)

Checked over the U-Joints. All seems pretty tight. I'm considering changing fluids in the tranny (I've had it for 20k and haven't done so yet). I know about the whole DEXRON III mix-up, not personally though! If anything bad happens I'll take the HP D30 of her '96 Cherokee (my old one), or just take the whole rig back!

P1010570.jpg

And for the debate on shifting an auto. . . I do it all the time, especially towing (a rare ocassion) and mountain driving. I like to be in control and know when my vehicle is going to shift. I just HATE the 2 to 1 unexpected downshift when I'm engine braking.

Back to the original topic, thanks for the posts. I'll check over everything else this weekend, but it drives fine as of now.

Back