• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade intake ideas other then snorkle?

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well i took my best out after it rained for 2 days straight and teh snow melted. Went thru a 2ft deep puddle at 10mph and right as i made it thru my jeep stalls. Shit , so i check the intake which is a shortram with a round filter with a wingnut holding on a bowl around it. So its a little wet. I fire her up and it bogged a little bit reved er up and off i went. SO, i scene the homemade snorkels with pvc pipes and i thought little to much bulshat. So has anyone just cut a hole in there hood and routed intake up into a bowl like covering over the intake. Like a mud bogger. I figure why route it to ur roof when u damn well arent going to go through mud or water deeper then the top of ur hood, other then the ram air effect. So has anyone chop a hole in there hood and routed it above there hood?

sorry for repeating myself

its routed up that high to deal with splashing more than submersion. most people get a snorkel setup and go banzai through the water. if you go slow it doesnt need to be up that high... if you dont mind the look of a filter sticking out of your hood than go for it. personally i think it would annoy the hell out of me. :dunno:

run your intake into your cab like the hard core mudders do. the one's i've seen come out through the glove box.

mine is setup for that i just put block off plates because i wanted a glove box. How do they run it through the glove box? Just drill a big hole in the plastic?

Run it up into your cowl. It works if you don't plan on going through water over about headlight deep. Remember, you have to leave a little room a steep entry into water.

thats a good idea. The previous owner cut a hole in the passenger fire wall all the way in. What if i run a filter just in between the fire wall and the the actual cab wall. There is enough space in between the 2 for a small filter. That way i dont have to hack my hood, or my fender. N e one done that?

I am routing thru the firewall, up thru the passenger dash and across the interior roof with a plastic A/C tube from an escalade to run the length of the XJ.
Air gets pulled from the inside in the back up high. I get some noise, but I am expecting that so no biggy.

projectTK said:
with all that piping itll look like ur installing a shitter in the backseat:)

I guess as long as it functions then do it.

or a portable man-pleasing device!!!!

Yeah it may be ugly, but I am building for fording water over the doors.

projectTK said:
make sure u get a video of that. So u want to make it a jeep submarine?
I saw the coolest K5 blazer stuck in the middle of a river.... running. All you could see was the roof and the intake mount, along with an extended exaust pipe.
The guy was sitting on his roof in a lawn chair fishing!
I'll see if I can get my Bro-in-law to send the pic he took of the guy.

BTW his front axel had shattered the night before when the water was lower. He didnt know it was a flood zone ;) Asked why it was running.... because he had nothing better to do than fiddle with his truck till someone came and pulled him out.

projectTK said:
thats some funny shit:laugh:

im surprised the fan or distributer didnt lose power sludging threw water.
Or electrical problems.

I cannot attest to that, but he had extended intake/exaust pipes. That alone leaves me to believe he might have be prepared for big fording maybe?

We didnt have have time to stick around after he got pulled, that would have been cool to see how he was set up.

It was at Needle Point in Scottsdale, Az. That place get more rigs stuck in the river rocks.

Back