• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spline count for 89 cherokee

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
Well, chain is stretched in the ol 231. I found a good deal on a used np 231 out of a 90 for $50.00. It's actually out of a friend of mines jeep which he just wrecked about a month ago. I've personally driven the jeep, before the wreck, and the 4wd worked great on it. I can't find a new chain for less than $65.00, and since my chain has been rubbing now for about 6 months, there's no telling how much metal particals there are in there now, I think it would just be safer to just replace the whole assembly. I've heard that in 89 the only spline count is a 21. Is that correct?:dunno: He already has the transfer case pulled for me and I counted it and it is 21. I'm not sure what spline count I have and I'm not quite ready to pull mine yet but I'd like to go ahead and buy it because there is another quy interested in the tc as well. If it matters my jeep has the 4.0, aw4 setup. Thanks in advance.

89 and 90 both use 21 spline yes.

91 went to 23 spline, when they did the 4.0 HO.

No, wouldnt that be nice.

The manual trans is the peugot BA10. I'm pretty sure its made out of compressed pocket lint - its not a very strong transmission, and it is 21 spline.

the ax 15 came out during mid/late 89 and when it did, i thought it mas mated to a 23 spline 231.
i dont believe there was ever a 21 spline ax15. so if the ax15 came out mid/late 89, than wouldnt the transfercase be 23 spline.

89xj said:
the ax 15 came out during mid/late 89 and when it did, i thought it mas mated to a 23 spline 231.
i dont believe there was ever a 21 spline ax15. so if the ax15 came out mid/late 89, than wouldnt the transfercase be 23 spline.

That is correct. I happen to have my 89 AX-15 sitting in the garage and it's definitely a 23-spline.

lawsoncl said:
That is correct. I happen to have my 89 AX-15 sitting in the garage and it's definitely a 23-spline.

thank you!

i have an 89 with the peugot and needed to know this. if the ba10 gave out, i would be looking into ax15 w/external slave and possibly mating it to a 242.

Back