• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS Pulley Bearing went south...

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
On remans do you have to use your old pulley on the rebuilt pump? I think my pump is still fine, its performance has not changed. I understand that you have to rent a puller to get the POS off, is there a way to yank the pulley off if I remove the efan from the rad without removing the pump from the truck?

The pully slides directly onto the output shaft IIRC no bearing. The bearing is pressed into the pump.If the bearing is bad you have to replace the pump.

actually, duh that makes sense otherwise the pump wouldn't pump :rolleyes:

So it's the shaft that is actually making terrible noises? I just replaced the belt and idler this morning to rule out the idler and it's still making the same noise, truck was stone cold, fired it up and shot some PB on the pulley and got quite a smoke show. The pump wasn't even running for 5 minutes, and no I didn't hit the manifold with PB :nono:

Well this sucks, $110 for a Reman from poon source (similar to US Autozone)
Are the Fenco units worthy or should I look somewhere else? My mechanic buddy has a "good" used pump he'd sell me for $30 and install it but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I guess I should start flushing the system right now then to ensure that I have clean fluid when I purchase a "new" pump

Last edited:
Are you sure its not your harmonic balancer rubbing on the timing cover? With the belt off does the pump spin easy? How about the water pump?Is there any play in the shaft of the Power steering pump? I would check these things first before I replaced the pump.

no nothing is rubbing, definitely has the "marbles in a glass jar" sound to it....it seemed to spin just fine with the belt off

What are the specs on your Jeep. Year, Engine, trans etc. Need more info.

Hahaha, well it doesn't matter now, the PS Pump exploded last night after I changed the belt.

My local Napa stores are extremely dumb. I used the part number for the Kritkit Belt Tensioner and they could not find it. Apparently they use different part numbers in the States and Canada.

Just my luck they are the only ones that can order me a refurb. pump so there goes $250

Hopefully I don't end up with a shitty pump. Where else can I get one of these tensioner guages?

Otherwise whats the best way to "feel" how tight a belt is?

hey Jeff, shitty deal on the pump going south on ya.

tension test as most will do it... find the longest length between pulleys, twist it, you want it to be able to twist 90* but no more. If its loose it will twist quite a bit, but tensioned right and 90* or just under it is bang on.

best of luck until its in... I thought I was going to be doing this last fall, complete fluid flush has it still hangin in there.

beakie said:
hey Jeff, shitty deal on the pump going south on ya.

tension test as most will do it... find the longest length between pulleys, twist it, you want it to be able to twist 90* but no more. If its loose it will twist quite a bit, but tensioned right and 90* or just under it is bang on.

best of luck until its in... I thought I was going to be doing this last fall, complete fluid flush has it still hangin in there.

X 2 Thats how I have always done it.

Back