• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possiblities

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj sport 4.0. my problem is, when i drive at night my lights dim real quick and then come back to its usual brightness. does that mean my battery is too weak, alternator going bad? or just the norm. my belt loves to squeak throughout the day, mean that i need to change my serpentine belt? havent changed the serpentine belt in a while. wut do you think?

does this go along with running in defrost mode?......not sure where hesperia is but it sounds cold LOL

btw I have the same jeep 98XJ sport

it might be cycling the ac, turning on the aux fan for cooling when you're over temp, or like mentioned, running the heater, putting a momentary extra load on the alternator

98XJeep said:
does this go along with running in defrost mode?......not sure where hesperia is but it sounds cold LOL

btw I have the same jeep 98XJ sport
aww yeah and wen it rains too. cool deal:wave1:

Here's more info. Unfortunately, I no longer have Alldata, so I cannot give you the full details, but this is the TSB summary I was talking about. If you want, you can google it and if you want to pay money on a website or whatever, you can get the full details.

SERVICE BULLETIN:083499 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:612142

MFG Bulletin Date: 19991008 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Bulletin Summary: SUBJECT ON THE HEAD LAMP FLICKER. *MJS
Date added to datbase: 20000606

NUMBER: 08-34-99
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: Oct. 8, 1999
SUBJECT:
Head Lamp Flicker
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a cooling fan relay module to reduce the current surge when the cooling fan cycles on.
MODELS:
1997 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A momentary headlamp flicker may be present when the cooling fan or air conditioning compressor cycles on.
DIAGNOSIS:
This condition is difficult to diagnose and may only be noticeable in rural areas with no ambient lighting. If a customer indicates that the symptoms are present, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
1 05013440AA Relay Module
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: 08-65-12-93 0.2 Hrs.FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part repair procedureTHIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.
1.Remove the air cleaner cover.
2.Remove the air cleaner element.
3.Remove the air inlet hose from the air cleaner cover.
4.Remove the air cleaner housing from the inner fender well.

5.Position the relay module on the inner fender well as shown in Figure 1. Mark the locations for the four attaching screws.
6.Drill four 1/8-inch holes in the marked locations.
7.Coat the edges of the holes with a corrosion resistant primer.
8.Attach the module to the inner fender with four # 10 X 1/2 inch sheet metal screws.
9.Disconnect the cooling fan from the electrical harness.
10.Connect the relay module between the fan and harness.
11.Insert the connector retainer into the existing hole shown in Figure 1 to secure the harness.
12.Install the air cleaner housing.
13.Install the inlet hose.
14.Install the air cleaner element.
15.Install the cover.

Could also be a loose belt, or worn out head light switch.

keep0njeepin0n said:
I doubt it, a loose belt would make noise, it wouldn't just slip and not make any noise!

Post number 1 says: "....my belt loves to squeak throughout the day, mean that i need to change my serpentine belt....:eyes:"

Ecomike said:
Post number 1 says: "....my belt loves to squeak throughout the day, mean that i need to change my serpentine belt....:eyes:"

I stand corrected and take back what I said before. However, I still believe that the TSB is related to his problem. But yeah, change the belt if it's squeaking!

keep0njeepin0n said:
I stand corrected and take back what I said before. However, I still believe that the TSB is related to his problem. But yeah, change the belt if it's squeaking!

I agree, the loose belt is probably just making the TSB issue more obvious! It is probably both. ;)

Back