• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about high pinion 30

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
What is the degree difference between the output on a high pinion and that of a low pinion?

I'm trying to see if the swap will rid me of my vibration issues.

There is only 3* difference in the castor/pinion relationship.The difference is in the height of the pinion!

Last edited:
yup, but i have 'em. and my caster is on cue, so I don't wanna change CA lengths. If I have to I can get longer uppers to get even more pinion angle, but i can get a high pinion for 100 bucks, i need a new pinion seal anyways so the swap is definitely the more inexpensive route

it's really only 1 degree?

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
I stand corrected!

you're confusing the fuck out of me...

3 degrees now? for sure? is that you're final answer?

dude, I think your making this all harder than it needs to be. Granted I will confess I am NO jeep GURU, by searching you will see I have had my own retarded moments in the past 3 months while getting my jeep capable of driving 'normal' again after a lift.
1: I think your trying to fix something the overly drastic way, when the idea is if it aint broke, dont fix it. As in why buy a whole new axle which is obviously a crap-shoot. I have an HP 30 and a smaller lift than you, and STILL had vibes that were unavoidable.

2: sure it might be a cheap in for the new HP30 your talking about, and if you got it already, then by all means just swap it, you have nothing to lose. Just dont expect it to magically take away all your problems.

I think ultimately your gonna find its your control arms that are the issue not your axle. From what I've read about and understand, your more than likely NOT gonna be able to have the stock specs of caster, on your 5.5" lifted jeep, without turning your C's and having them set at the right angle for caster. I could be completely wrong, and I'm not trying to be an ass, but seriously. Longer UCA's dialed in probably less than half an inch longer will bring your pinion up the slightest bit, which might be all you need to get rid of the vibes.

Oh and go read GO JEEPS site. 9* for HP 30....12* for LP30. IF using his formula for DIY alignment. But those angles have to be found and used as he described.

The bottom line is, myself and many others w/ 2000-2001 XJ's and all the TJ's use this axle.Ive seen TJ's with even more lift than me that dont have any problems with the correct set-up!

Back