• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch selection. Gorilla?

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to make up my decision on a winch. I have been looking at the smittybuilt XRC8 for $299, and the summit branded T MAX EW-9000 for $450. Lots of people recomend the Warn M8000 but I can't justify spendind $550 on it when the T MAX is only $450. Also I came across the Gorilla Winch 8,000lb for $374 and the 10,000lb for $474. Has anyone used one of these yet, they seem to have good reviews for their ATV winches.

http://www.gorillawinches.com/gorilla-winches-10000lb-vehicle-recovery-series.htm

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D930002&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT6208T5141.aspx XRC8

I can't speak on the Gorilla, but I have an EW-9000 that I have abused and abused, it keeps asking for more.

I can't say enough good things about that winch.

I have a smitty built, only complain is its a little slow but i deal with it, Iv never had it not pull me and iv been pretty hung up on rocks. Cant beat the price and 2 year warranty

The Smitty Built is rated at 8,000lbs is that gonna be enough, i know something like a snatch block will double its pulling power but what if you can't use one?

DrSockMonkey said:
The gorillas seem to be pretty popular among the ATV crowd. Looks like a fairly clean unit.
I was thinking the same thing, the ATV guys have alot of good to say about them but I can't find anyone that has used them on a Jeep. I did find this though posted by Low Range 2.

"
I bought one of those and was so dissapointed with it I sold it right after I got it. Then I bought an XRC 8 and like it a lot. The gorilla winch had lots of cheap looking plastic on it as well as the fact that the controler was in 2 pieces when I opened the box. I'd stay away from it."

jeepboy381 said:
I was thinking the same thing, the ATV guys have alot of good to say about them but I can't find anyone that has used them on a Jeep. I did find this though posted by Low Range 2.

"
I bought one of those and was so dissapointed with it I sold it right after I got it. Then I bought an XRC 8 and like it a lot. The gorilla winch had lots of cheap looking plastic on it as well as the fact that the controler was in 2 pieces when I opened the box. I'd stay away from it."
How old is the quote? Have they addressed the quality issues since? I know, I know, I'm a dreamer, and you get what you pay for...:jester:

Here is where I fell in love with t-max. We were winching for 4.5-5.5 hours, and stalled or burned up 3 warn winches while the t-max kept pulling.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

DrSockMonkey said:
How old is the quote? Have they addressed the quality issues since? I know, I know, I'm a dreamer, and you get what you pay for...:jester:
It looks like it was posted 3 weeks ago. The quote you get what you pay for is very true but sometimes you get lucky. I don't want to be the test dummy wasting $400 dollars though!

jeepboy381 said:
It looks like it was posted 3 weeks ago. The quote you get what you pay for is very true but sometimes you get lucky. I don't want to be the test dummy wasting $400 dollars though!

True, True. I keep hearing about people getting more than 4-5 pulls out of their winch and being happy. What is that about? What is the lifespan in pulls of a good winch?

jeepboy381 said:
Cal, that is good info! Where did you get your T MAx from?

A local vendor gave it to me. He needed a locker in a pinch to fix a problem with an unhappy customer, and I had that exact locker sitting new in the box.. so we traded.

I have a Superwinch EP9.0 which is possibly in your price range and is excellent. It's as quick as most of the standard Warn winches but with an external motor (not inside the drum) so it won't melt synthetic rope. It has never let me down, even draggin my Jeep and other out of mud hole requiring snatch-block winching.

I am running the Tabor 9k and it has been a good winch for the money. They are made by Warn. I've done a few pretty hefty pulls with it and lots of fairly easy pulls. For the money, it seems quite decent.

I figured I would update since I started this thread. I ended up going with the T Max EW-9000, actually it is the summit rebrand but they are the same thing with a shorter warrenty. Warn's prices are rediculous high for some reason right now and the TMax has much better ratings for the price and I have heard nothing negative about them. I believe it was $466 shipped to my door and it should show up tommarow 2/20/08. I am pretty excited but it is not going to do me any good without a bumper. I will either make my own, buy the Moad 4X4 bumper, or buy the Rigid FBW bumper. Not quite sure yet. Anyway thanks for everyones input!

Back