• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSB/recall question?

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I was just looking around on the 'net and found that there was a recall/customer satisfaction notice from 1998 for new front rotors on my 1990.

Checked the jeep site, plugged in my VIN, and sure enough there is an outstanding recall for the rotors. The issue date is 03/05/98, and it says the jeep was never brought in to have them replaced.
Now, I'm not the original owner of my jeep, but can I still take the ol' beast in and get new rotors slapped on for nothing, almost 10 years later?!?

Dont believe the jeep website. Both of my Jeeps said it never got the o2 sensor recall. Bring it to the dealer and they will look it up. Most likely it has had it done. If it hasent then I think they would do it.

I had the same recall on my 93, although I had just done a complete brake job, calipers and all. I told them I didn't want new rotors and it was a little issue for them to erase the recall without actually "doing" the brakes. He finally conceeded. I didn't want them putting on some crappy rotors when I just spent good coin getting some premium rotors, pads and calipers. Silly eh?

a recall is a recasll, dont matter if its 10 days ago or 10 years. my brothers durango had a recall on the bolts on ther front diff. he took it in AFTER he watched it roll down a muddy hill. they still fixed it for free.

If it's actually a recall they will do the job for free regardless of age or original ownership. However, if it's a TSB, they will only do the work for free if the vehicle is still under warranty!

You could PM me the last 8 of the VIN with current mileage and I could verify the recall and whether or not it has been done for you.

I had this recall done back in 2000 on both my '92 XJ and the '98 ZJ (same rotors). Both sets were off within a year, warped horribly. But, my neighbor's '96 XJ actually had one break as he applied the brakes at a light, causing him to swerve out of the lane. Best thing to do is throw a junk set on, and go get 'em replaced, then come home and put your good ones back on. Spray the dealer items with oil, and throw 'em in the garage for an emergency.

As I was told a safety recall is good for the life of the car no matter who ownes it. My 97 has that outstanding recall also. Since I do my own repairs, I've been skeptical about bringing it to the stealer. It only covers the rotors, and any other parts needed you will be charged for. You know they will try to say "you have a bad caliper" or something. I would also have to be with out it for at least a day.

Back