• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Misses at idle

icrxtacyi

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 that misses when it idles. It seems fine when driving. Although sometimes it starts to sputter and loose power, but if i let off the gas and hit it again it will stop sputtering and run normal again. The plugs, rotor, cap, wires, and coil have all been replaced. This is really starting to annoy the crap out of me and i am out of ideas as to what it is.

have you cleaned the IAC and throtle body?

also have the battery load tested and there is no corrosion on the battery terminals.

89xj said:
have you cleaned the IAC and throtle body?

also have the battery load tested and there is no corrosion on the battery terminals.

IAC = What?
My jeep has the same issue, been intermittent since I bought the thing. Doesnt seem to do it in cold weather. Keep us updated!

yossarian19 said:
IAC = What?
My jeep has the same issue, been intermittent since I bought the thing. Doesnt seem to do it in cold weather. Keep us updated!

idle air control or stepper motor. its on the throttle body.

REPOXP777 said:
Sounds like vapor lock at the fuel rail when it gets hot . If it was backfiring I would check the fuel presure at the rail .

Vapor lock is almost always a starting issue, not a running or driveability issue.

Look at the usual suspects, a dirty IAC, failing CPS (and the O2 sensors on high mileage Cherokees).

Back