• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water building up inside my xj!

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to have water leaking into the floor on the front drivers side and under the back seat on the drivers side

At first I thought it was from my wet feet but it always stays wet and today when I lifted up the back seat I noticed the water and realized I have a problem!

What causes this? And what can I do about it?

Thanks

Your floors are probably rusting out, or already are rusted out. You might be lucky and be able to catch the rust demon before it gets out of hand. Pull the rear carpet up, throw a few choice words out there then search on how to repair your jeep.

Also, check the door seals. When parking older style XJ's uphill, the door seals that have not been properly maintained tend to leak. Put a thick coating of ArmorAll on the rubber and it will swell and close the leak. Be sure to wipe off any excess after the rubber swells, as it is a mess to get on your clothes when climbing in and out !! :bawl:

my 98XJ has a small problem with water running down through a grommet on the firewall and then dripping on the floor mat, only happens when it rains alot so I havent really tried to fix it yet, I've got rubber floor mats and it has yet to fill up enough to run over, but regular carpet floor mats might.

It's probably the grommet where the hood release cable goes through the firewall. Mine leaked the same way. I sealed that and it stopped leaking, but now it's starting up again...not as bad though.

You live in the pnw where it rains year round. It probably leaks around the doorframes and the windshield and all the other places people have suggested. Just track them down one at a time & fix them. That is if it's not rusted too badly. Don't leave your windows cracked a little if it might rain. A window left open 1/2" will soak your seat & floor with an unbelievable amount of water.

mine does the same thing. i know the reason it leaks by the drivers floor, but for the back seat where they store the jacks, why does water get in there?
and how?

Back