• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got hose!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well i get up this morning and saw there was a small stain on the ground, so i get down and put my finger in it and then do they ol smell and didnt smell like anything, and it was clear, so i thought, hmmm ...water? so i mess around for like 10 min and then i see another stain in the same spot, so im guessing antifreeze and pop the hood and its a small hole in the hose that goes back to the firewall. Now i have some spare 1/2" heater hose but it looks kinda small compared to whats on there now. Anyone know what size it suppose to be?

clunk said:
you can also get some 5/8" heater hose couplers from autozone for to join the old hose to the new. Don't forget to pick up a few new hose clamps as well!
it might be wise to go with the hose coupler pieces for right now.
Sometimes when you pull the heater core hoses off the heater core the nipples on the heater core disintegrate.
If you don't have a nice warm place to work on it then I'd say splice the new hose into the old, don't touch the heater core itself and then do a permanent repair when it's warm out.

well this will be the third time this particular hose has been replaced since i've had the jeep. So you guys dont think it would be wise to just pull the hose off and replace the whole thing? im not gonna replace it tonight, and its suppose to be in the 50's tomorrow or i could wait untill saturday when its going to be even warmer.
EDIT: also how much coolant am i looking at losing when pulling this hose?

Get extra footage, and extra adapters. If they are plastic, they will last all of 2 years like the heater valve's :gee:

Ok i got a foot of hose. and LOTS of clamps. just because they so cheap and you can never have enough. Last time i did this, i had lost so much antifreeze, there was none to be lost, but do i need to drain the radiator or can i just open the coolant bottle and let the pressure out? and do it that way?

Third time replacing the hose since you had the Jeep? Is it rubbing against something or what? Getting holes in the same spot, or different spots?

Well the first day i got it, i had a couple hundred bucks to blow, so i did a full tune up. replaced a bunch of hoses, while i had all the coolant drained. Second time, i was driving home from school, like 98 degrees outside. pull into my neighborhood and all of a sudden my temp gauge jumps to like 240, get out, pop the hood and that hose had literally exploded! and now theres a small pin size hole in it. so i dont know whats up dude! seems like it only happens when its super hot or super cold outside.

Ok well i got one end of the hose off, and i cant seem to get the end off the heater core, im scared now that i might mess up the nipple on it, so gonna head up to autozone at get some of those couplers...now is that what they are actually called?

you'll find them in the Help! section, they're just straight through pieces with barbs on both ends.
They are plastic, it's not a permanent repair, but they'll wrk until you have the time/space/warmth to do it right.

What I do is use a razor blade and cut the old hose off the heater core nipple. That way you can just cut it off the nipple and peel it away without risking breaking the nipple.

Make sure when you put the new hose on the nipple that you apply some kinda grease to help it slide on.

Well i got it done! it was a it nippy, but i ended up take a small hacksaw and cutting a slit in the side and draining all the coolant that was in it and twisted the hose till it popped off the heater core nipple and replaced it with the new hose. cleaned up everything that was drenched in coolant, now gonna let it sit tonight and let it run in the morning to check for leaks. Thanks for everyones help.

Back