• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear seatback latch release

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install new seat covers and need to remove the seatback release handle from the rear seat. I've checked my FSM and all it states is to remove this handle to install the seat cover, not how to remove it. How the fawk does this thing come off? 99 Sport BTW.

Thanks.
Dave

Upon closer inspection, the plastic handle seems to be attached to the release mechanism with a blind roll pin or spring pin. Who the hell engineers a blind roll pin and just how am I supposed to get it out? Any ideas?

Dave

When I recovered seats in my Jeep I found pins somewhere. Would be nice if they'd put the hole straight through it but they only did on one side. I ended up taking a knife and burrowing a hole on the other side so I could push the pin through.

Yeah, I've thought of trying to pass a 1/16" (or smaller) drill bit through the center of the pin to make a starter hole on the other side of the handle. Then using the starter hole as a guide, drill a large enough hole for the pin to pass through from the opposite side. Only problem is, the actual latch is directly in the way to a straight shot at the pin. The moron that designed this is prolly the same chuckle-head that did the AC evaporator and located the hazard/signal flasher. I swear, some of the engineering meetings at ChryCo must be little more than cluster-fawks.

Dave

Last edited:
Yeah, if I could get a straight shot at it, either of those would probably work. The problem is that the hole (the roll pin sits in) is aligned directly with the latch and within an inch or so of it. Absolutely wonderful design. :mad:

Dave

On both of my XJs (89 and 96), that latch handle pops right off with just a little pressure. No pins.

Well, they obviously redesigned it for the 97+ "update". I pulled like hell on them and even tried to pry them off with a long handled screw driver. It was only after closer examination and much cussing did I discover the pins.

Dave

Well, the actuator is a piece of stamped metal that actually slips into the handle and is held there by this pin. As such, there is no way to simply break the handle off. The metal is inserted into the handle by ~1/2" and is a fairly substantial corrugated stamping. Any other thoughts? Any of you 97+ owners that can take a look at this and think of something besides melting the stupid handle with a propane torch? Failing anything else, I'm going to try drilling into the handle from the opposite side tomorrow and punch the damn pin out. What should have been a simple task has been turned into a snipe hunt by Chrysler's engineers.

Dave

Dave I'm not getting what you talking about. I just went and looked at mine (they're from a 98), and there is a zipper down the side that you unzipp to remove the cover. It would then have enough give to slide over the handle.

Hey Scooby:

True, the stock seat covers may not need the handles removed in order to pull them off. However, my FSM states that the handles need to be removed in order to remove/install even the stock seat covers. The leather covers that I bought don't require the stock covers to be removed. The front covers and the rear seat cushion cover I have already installed fit beautifully. However, when trying to fit the rear seatback cover, it was obvious that I was in jeapordy of tearing the seams when attempting to stretch the cover over the handles. I know I will need to cut a slit in the vinyl side panels (of the cover) to facilitate the handles and latch, but I need to get the damn handles off in order to fit the cover to mark the areas that need to be relieved with an ExActo knife. In addition, without getting the handles off I won't be able to get the cover under the small cover panels that surround the handle.

Dave

Finally got the stupid handles off. Wound up having to drill from the opposite side in order to drive the pin out. What a PITA!!! Pics of the covers can be seen here.

Dave

Back