• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hac N tap or SYE

TortureTested

NAXJA Forum User
Im moving to 6 to 7" of lift and need to take care of the driveline. One choice is to hack n tap my 242 and tom w CV shaft and the other is to swap out for a 231 with an SYE in it and supposedly use an XJ front driveshaft.

Whats the pros and cons and opinions???

my personal opinion of a hack n tap is...well, it just seems shady. with a normal SYE, the replacement shaft is shorter and stronger...you get to open the case up and inspect everything...drain the fluid...redo all your seals...to me, I just feel better about that....

I'm sure i'll get arguments....

but also, I think there is less room for error wtih a traditional SYE.

for 6-7" of lift, you'll probably want to use a ZJ Shaft....its about an inch longer...

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

I too agree w/ JNickel101. I think that the full SYE over the H&T is a better idea and would think that the shorter shaft is stouter then a hacked stock shaft. I am at 6.5" of lift and used the PORC SYE and a XJ front DS and it has worked fine so far. I am looking for a ZJ front shaft to replace my current set up b/c it is on the verge of being too short. Just my $.02

almost 5 years on my RE Junk, no vibes on highway, let you know when I break it, knock on wood.

Use loctite, and check it like you check everything else, every oil change or whatever. Don't F up on the install!

I did the h+t on my 89 242, had zero problems with it, I got a spare t-case for parts, and have cut and drilled the output shaft as a spare just in case. Something a guy could do trailside if he really needed to (replace the shaft I mean)

I ran the H&T on my 231 and swaped it on my 242 and have had no problems either, simple install and reliable. I will not say that I thinks it's better than a full HD tailshaft conversion but my options for the 242 are limited so I work with what I got.

I have had zero problems with the H&T on my 242 and I've wheeled it and driven it and everything. No problems at all.

Why do you guys think the H&T is shady?

Did a H&T on mine as well, Granted if I was a real extreme wheeler, and offroad as much or more than onroad, I might have opted otherwise. Simple install, but after reading other peoples experience make sure to use cutting oil when tapping, and do it in small increments. I also used locktite black around the adapter and tail cone seal. Havent had a drop of fluid come out yet. I'm extremely pleased with mine, as well as the ease of install....

Back