• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

champion V ngk ??

qwerty247

NAXJA Forum User
any views on which plud is better for a 97 xj ?

champion RC12LYC
OR
ngk FR5-1

i think the champion are the ones fitted at jeep, but not sure if thats the correct one RC12LYC ??

or are the ngk better anyway?

any ideas?

thanks

In my (educated) opinion, Champion makes the worst spark plugs on the market, and NGK makes the best.
Champions perform very well for a few thousand miles (OEM for Jaguar in the old days), then fail. NGKs have a good, long life span, and performance doesn't drop off until wear is visible. They have a very flexible heat range that makes them very good for alternating between bouts of hard use and normal driving.
The evidence for this is visible on a 'scope as you watch the wear over thousands of miles.

thats interesting to hear, as the jeep dealer only recommend the champions.

But i have heard that the ngk are better, so that does back that theory up.

thanks for that

i like ac delco , and copper core, I replane mine every year that way I know their in good shape.

jeepdude10000 said:
i like ac delco , and copper core, I replane mine every year that way I know their in good shape.

I heard that AC Delco has stopped or is going to stop making spark plugs and gonna slap their name onto some Autolites. Beside this point, I tended to prefer Delcos. With this info, next time I think I'll switch to NGK.

soooo NGK it is then !

are the FR5-1 the correct/good ones for the 4.0 97 xj ?

thanks for all the advise !

I think you will find a lot of people who otherwise hate champs will like them in the 4.0 I pulled out bosch plat+4s to go back to champs, i have ran autolite double plats bosch coppers, and plat plus 4s and now i have switched back to champion coppers something about the 4.0 and the coppers

I like NGK for width of the heatrange in each plug. They last long too. That said, I have run Autolites in every Jeep I have owned but 1 (It was an '86 Comanche with 2.5L got Splitfires with splitfire wires after fouling other brands due to high mileage and blowby)

Back