• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess my axle ratio

jeepdoggy

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for a dumb first Q but my newly acquired XJ is many miles away and I'm starting to think about locker options but I forgot to figure out what the axle ratio is before I left. It's an unmodified 2000 Sport, 6 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4. I see in wiki that it might be either 3.07 or 3.55, can someone tell me which is most likely? (I hope it's not 3.07.)

Hate to break it to ya, but it is almost a certainty that it is 3.07. 4.0 Auto's came with 3.55s and 5spds came with 3.07s.

The good news is you can go the junk yard find a automatic XJ with good axles and buy them. A few hours later and you have slightly lower gears, no gear set up required!

xjtrailrider said:
The good news is you can go the junk yard find a automatic XJ with good axles and buy them. A few hours later and you have slightly lower gears, no gear set up required!

Now there's an idea, can the speedo calibration be changed (yeah yeah I know that's being picky)?

jeepdoggy said:
Now there's an idea, can the speedo calibration be changed (yeah yeah I know that's being picky)?

You may not need to correct the speedo if you go with bigger tires, 31's or 32's.

xjtrailrider said:
You may not need to correct the speedo if you go with bigger tires, 31's or 32's.

If he's going for bigger tires, then maybe grab axles from a 4-cyl which would be 4.11 gearing. The speedo gear is only $12 from the dealer.

lawsoncl said:
If he's going for bigger tires, then maybe grab axles from a 4-cyl which would be 4.11 gearing. The speedo gear is only $12 from the dealer.

Agreed, I'm running 3.55 axles in my 96 4.0 AX-15 XJ and there is little improvement over stock running 30" tires. I'm going to 4.56 axles and 32" tires this year. If you can find a 4-cyl XJ with 4WD, that would be a good deal.

unless you have a tow package, then you'd have 3.73s

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

You could always let the XJ coast on a slight slope and count the number of driveshaft revolutions for one wheel revolution... It takes 5 minutes with a friend.

Man I got boned. The PO said my '89 came with 4.10 gears but they really came with 3.07's, even though it had the Towing Package AND Up Country/Off Highway package.

fizassist said:
You could always let the XJ coast on a slight slope and count the number of driveshaft revolutions for one wheel revolution... It takes 5 minutes with a friend.
I know how to jack it up, count the revs and find the ratio, but per my original post now it's 300 miles away and I unfortunately I forgot to do it before I left :dunce:

lawsoncl said:
Nothing exciting, I just want more certainty of traction than 2 open diffs can provide.

I should have swapped the 4.1's out of my YJ, well, I should have kept the YJ but that's a long story...

Thanks for all your info folks, seems to be a really helpful forum :cheers:

Back