• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No idle and obd code 54

rgerber2

NAXJA Forum User
I read the error codes from my check engine light and I am getting a code 54 which indicates a problem with the camshaft position sensor. I changed the sensor and reset the computer and am still getting this code.

The engine also wont idle or run at all. When I pull the plugs they are covered black and when I wipe the black away they are white. I have timed it a couple times according to the manual but with no luck.

I cant seem to get the timing right. Is there any tricks to setting the timing or can someone maybe explain how they have achieved proper timing. I am spinning the crank with a ratchet until the line on the pulley lines up with the marks on the timing cover at 0. Pull the dist cap and make sure its on cylinder one or close to it. I have tried going on gear before cylinder one and one gear after with no luck. When I go to a different gear I adjust the oil pump so the distributor will seat fully. The only other thing I can think to try is try 5 degrees before according to the timing marks and adjust based on that. I am ready to pull my hair out and will take any and all advice. Its a 94 xj with a 4.0 :dunno:

Back